Flight in GTA Toronto yet?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
jasont200
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Canada

Flight in GTA Toronto yet?

Post: # 34274Post jasont200
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:42 am

Just had what appears to be a queen fly around my living room and was wondering are any nuptials happening yet? I know she won't be fertile as I'm sure she lives in my house as I think this is number 3 in my living room. She's way to small to be campanotus. She is black appears to have strips around her booty and has 2 things between her booty and her back. Sorry for the notn science accurate words.

User avatar
antnest8
Posts: 805
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Flight in GTA Toronto yet?

Post: # 34296Post antnest8
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm

if the queen is flying she would have to be prenolepis imparis
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Flight in GTA Toronto yet?

Post: # 34299Post Jadeninja9
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:40 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm
if the queen is flying she would have to be prenolepis imparis
Many species fly this time of year, not just Prenolepis imparis.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
7x Lasius alienus colonies

Founding:
1x Prenolepis imparis queen
1x Tetramorium immigrans
1x Camponotus cf. clarithorax

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Flight in GTA Toronto yet?

Post: # 34300Post Jadeninja9
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:40 pm

There can't be an identification without pictures
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
7x Lasius alienus colonies

Founding:
1x Prenolepis imparis queen
1x Tetramorium immigrans
1x Camponotus cf. clarithorax

User avatar
PenguinAntKeeper
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:40 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Flight in GTA Toronto yet?

Post: # 34302Post PenguinAntKeeper
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:40 pm
antnest8 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm
if the queen is flying she would have to be prenolepis imparis
Many species fly this time of year, not just Prenolepis imparis.
Keep in mind this is Toronto not Cali, we usually are still just above freezing at this point of the year, so its either because of the "heatwave" earlier last week some parasitic Lasius came out of hibernation or P. Imparis actually flew, in his home strangely...
Hibernating: (all)

Parasitic Lasius:2

Founding:
Tetramorium Immigrans:2

Colonies:
Tetramorium Immigrans:1
Formica Spp:3

I'm new to ant keeping so my colonies are all still in test tubes. :roll: :?

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Flight in GTA Toronto yet?

Post: # 34306Post Jadeninja9
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:41 pm

PenguinAntKeeper wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:26 pm
Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:40 pm
antnest8 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm
if the queen is flying she would have to be prenolepis imparis
Many species fly this time of year, not just Prenolepis imparis.
Keep in mind this is Toronto not Cali, we usually are still just above freezing at this point of the year, so its either because of the "heatwave" earlier last week some parasitic Lasius came out of hibernation or P. Imparis actually flew, in his home strangely...
Oh haha I didn't even notice that
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
7x Lasius alienus colonies

Founding:
1x Prenolepis imparis queen
1x Tetramorium immigrans
1x Camponotus cf. clarithorax

User avatar
antnest8
Posts: 805
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Flight in GTA Toronto yet?

Post: # 34312Post antnest8
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:24 pm

lasius can't fly because thy shed their wings already and i doubt that it is prenolepis because where i'm at (not to far from toronto) still usually has highs in the high thirties and low forties. of course i may be wrong because the weather might be different up in canada.
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NKantsalberta and 1 guest