Nuptial flights

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Jimbobski

Nuptial flights

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:21 am

Red fire ant nuptial flight spotted , Ards friar co. Donegal Ireland . P's need to know wich species are in area.

Hunter36o

Re: Nuptial flights

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:25 am

Hey I am from Dublin and I can tell you for a fact Lasius Niger and Tetramorium caespitum are in abundance around here. As far as I am aware the Nigers will fly halfway into July right up till August, not sure how far unto August. O cannot find accurate flights for ireland on the tetramorium but for overall europe its june to early August. But as of yet I have spotted no queens.

As for red ants they are still a rare breed for Ireland and I think you side of our little kingdom has the higher population although they have been spotted in Dublin. Again i am finding it hard to get accurate info on this for us.

But if you could do me a super big favour i will return in kind??? I noticed this is post from last year and if you see the same this year do you think you can help me by catching a queen or 2?

Ronkil just rang me right there!! and ended up being a fantastic help!! Turns our thanks to our country can have nuptial flights right up to september and is more common in september. Get info but a long wait...
Hopefully the coming heatwave fixes that wait haha.
In the process of caring for 8 lasius niger queens.
All 8 now with eggs :D

Still hunting for Tetramorium Ceaspitum.

And still waiting on Myrmica Rubra to start their flights.

Hoping to join GAN for Ireland :)