Species Suggestions

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

TbroGaming6683

Species Suggestions

Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:10 pm

I recently decided that I wanted to found an ant colony. I’ve found a few queens, but I can’t seem to find a species that I like. And if I find any, they’re either to hard to keep, or aren’t found near me. I live in the United States, New York. I’m looking for an ant species with a vibrant color (yellow, red, orange, etc) I’m looking for decent sized worker as well (at least 3 or 4 millimeters in size) since I’m pretty new, I’m not looking for anything too hard, but I don’t mind a challenge. Obviously I’m being pretty specific, so I’m open to any suggestions even if they don’t completely meet my “standards”.

antperson24

Re: Species Suggestions

Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:47 pm

TbroGaming6683 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:10 pm
I recently decided that I wanted to found an ant colony. I’ve found a few queens, but I can’t seem to find a species that I like. And if I find any, they’re either to hard to keep, or aren’t found near me. I live in the United States, New York. I’m looking for an ant species with a vibrant color (yellow, red, orange, etc) I’m looking for decent sized worker as well (at least 3 or 4 millimeters in size) since I’m pretty new, I’m not looking for anything too hard, but I don’t mind a challenge. Obviously I’m being pretty specific, so I’m open to any suggestions even if they don’t completely meet my “standards”.
I would say Formica palidefulva. I would not recommend buying ants online, you can easily get scammed or they might even arrive dead. Finding your own queen is much more enjoyable and rewarding, not to mention you get to spend time in the outdoors looking for a queen. Even if you don't find a bright colored species, I would still recommend catching a queen of any of these species: Lasius neoniger, Camponotus sp.,Tetramorium immigrans, Formica fusca group.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

TbroGaming6683

Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:45 pm

Thanks you for your suggestion. I’ve heard so many bad things about buying queen ants. For that reason, I never have and never will plan on buying queens online. I love searching for them anyways because it gets me outside and gives me something else to do other than sitting around.

antperson24

Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:52 pm

TbroGaming6683 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:45 pm
Thanks you for your suggestion. I’ve heard so many bad things about buying queen ants. For that reason, I never have and never will plan on buying queens online. I love searching for them anyways because it gets me outside and gives me something else to do other than sitting around.
Oh good, glad to here that. Happy hunting! ;)
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN