Help: Southern Alberta Camponotus schedule?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

justrws

Help: Southern Alberta Camponotus schedule?

Thu May 25, 2023 8:04 pm

Any insight on when Camponotus fly around the Calgary area would be great. I lucked into one in late July last year in the Rockies, 2 hours west of Calgary, but I'm thinking that's probably way too late for the GCA.

Not sure if my queen from last year is going to make it. She seemed to be laying eggs and then eating them throughout the fall as I sometimes never saw any in her tube and when I did, they were always small. I hibernated her and have kept her warm and dark and secluded since bringing her out in late April (~32 days ago). Wanting to leave her be for an extended period as I'm worried my checking up on her every few weeks was stressing her last year. I'm worried that she's not going to have what it takes this long after capture to raise any nanitics. :cry: Since I lucked into her last year I was hoping to have a better plan to hopefully find another/more this year.

antperson24

Re: Help: Southern Alberta Camponotus schedule?

Fri May 26, 2023 9:13 am

justrws wrote:
Any insight on when Camponotus fly around the Calgary area would be great. I lucked into one in late July last year in the Rockies, 2 hours west of Calgary, but I'm thinking that's probably way too late for the GCA.

Not sure if my queen from last year is going to make it. She seemed to be laying eggs and then eating them throughout the fall as I sometimes never saw any in her tube and when I did, they were always small. I hibernated her and have kept her warm and dark and secluded since bringing her out in late April (~32 days ago). Wanting to leave her be for an extended period as I'm worried my checking up on her every few weeks was stressing her last year. I'm worried that she's not going to have what it takes this long after capture to raise any nanitics. :cry: Since I lucked into her last year I was hoping to have a better plan to hopefully find another/more this year.
They fly between April and May.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri May 26, 2023 8:51 pm

justrws wrote:

They’ll fly all summer and maybe a bit in fall
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

justrws

Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:17 pm

Thanks for the replies but I think you both missed the assignment, being from Iowa and Florida. I was hoping other Southern Albertans would be able to narrow down the window. I know it's not a science but narrowing it down any is helpful. There are people in the GAN around Calgary but none have queens for sale so I'm assuming they haven't flown in this area yet.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:04 am

justrws wrote:
Thanks for the replies but I think you both missed the assignment, being from Iowa and Florida. I was hoping other Southern Albertans would be able to narrow down the window. I know it's not a science but narrowing it down any is helpful. There are people in the GAN around Calgary but none have queens for sale so I'm assuming they haven't flown in this area yet.
GAN is dead as hell lol

There is “45” sellers in Florida yet less than 20 have actually restocked in the past two years lol
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antperson24

Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:57 am

justrws wrote:
For the most part, there wont be much difference for Camponotus Pennsylvanicus. Their nuptial flights are also kind of just scattered around. Also, I doubt you'll find someone from Arizona, there is an unfortunate lack of active members members.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN