Nuptial flight in eastern Washington

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

3libras

Nuptial flight in eastern Washington

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:14 pm

Found a couple of tetramorium queens in Spokane today July 7 at 6am stuck to rain droplets on my car. They were surly going to drown in the drops had I not saved them. Multiple drones were in stuck all over the car as well. Hope they got their groove on prior to getting stuck. Also found 5 egg producing camponotus modoc queens around June 1 in Spokane, WA. They flew mid day 1 pm -ish. What species should I be looking for next in my area? And what time of day? I'm new to the hobby, first year. Any direction to any content to new keepers is greatly appreciated.

AntsInMB

Re: Nuptial flight in eastern Washington

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:25 pm

Next for your area is Formica who, In my area, fly at around mid-day. I’m expecting Formica in 1 or 2 weeks. After that, in august should be mymica. They may also fly in late July.

Hope that helps!

AntsInMB

Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:55 pm

Lol, my Formica in my yard just had a nuptial flight.

3libras

Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:40 pm

AntsInMB wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:25 pm
Next for your area is Formica who, In my area, fly at around mid-day. I’m expecting Formica in 1 or 2 weeks. After that, in august should be mymica. They may also fly in late July.

Hope that helps!
It does. Thank you. Any idea on time of day for myrmica? Super interested in them. They are the closest to a fire ant in my area correct?

AntsInMB

Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:47 am

I think mymica flight at night as the colonies in my yard are very in active at noon.

On the fire ant question, according to ant maps.org I have found that…

Solenopsis geminata needs verification in your area. (Apparently it’s indoor introduced in my area)

And solenopsis molesta which I was very exited to find out is native to not only both of our areas but all of North America! (I really want a colony of them) their common name is thief ant.

Another native species for you. In your area, solenopsis validiuscula is a native species!

That is all I could find for solenopsis in your area. If you want to see for yourself on what I found, go to ant maps:)

Hope that helps!