Belgium - Nuptial Flights

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Matiss2505

Belgium - Nuptial Flights

Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:53 am

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and trying to get into ant keeping, thanks to AntsCanada!
I'd just like to get any info possible on when it is best to look for queen ants here in Belgium and more precisely around Tervuren, where I currently reside. If anyone has a schedule for each species in Belgium and its nuptial flights, it would be really appreciated if it could be shared with us! Also, any info if the best time to hunt is a sunny day, rainy day, sunny day after a rainy day, etc... Just any info would be awesome.
In the meantime, I'm going to be prepping the test tubes! See you around fellow ant keepers, good hunting. :D
New (trying to be) keeper!

AM1C39

Re: Belgium - Nuptial Flights

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:07 am

It is best to hunt for queen ants after it hase rained. Ants in Belgium should be flying around now and will continue to do so for a few months. Have a look at antmaps.org they can show you what species live in your area.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Matiss2505

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:07 pm

AM1C39 wrote:
It is best to hunt for queen ants after it hase rained. Ants in Belgium should be flying around now and will continue to do so for a few months. Have a look at antmaps.org they can show you what species live in your area.
Do I search for queens right after it stops raining, or after an hour or two?
Other than that, thanks a lot! I'll be checking out antmaps.org very soon.
New (trying to be) keeper!

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:29 pm

Matiss2505 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:07 pm
AM1C39 wrote:
Do I search for queens right after it stops raining, or after an hour or two?
Other than that, thanks a lot! I'll be checking out antmaps.org very soon.
Depends. In Florida, Camponotus fly the same day of rain and the day after. With some species, the wind has to be within a certain range etc. I recommend the wind being at least 8mph(Around 3 is great!) to spend a lot of time looking for queens. Also, I recommend checking out some YouTubers in your country and the neighboring countries, as this can prove helpful when certain species fly.

Also, I do believe Formica Rufa is protected in your country. Make sure you don’t capture any protected ants!(Sorry if you already knew this)

Good luck! ;)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…