Advice on Catching Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queens

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Swirlby

Advice on Catching Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queens

Sun May 22, 2022 12:56 am

I'm very new to ant-keeping, and I decided that I want to catch some carpenter ant queens and hopefully get my first colony going with one of them. There's an abundance of these big black carpenter ants at my grandparents' house, and they can be seen scurrying around on the driveway at any time of day. I've taken a look at them, and done some research, and they're definitely Camponotus Pennsyvanicus ants, in my extremely amateur opinion.

I haven't had much time to go looking, since my schedule has been pretty booked as of late. I've watched plenty of videos on searching for queens, but I would like some tips on where and when to look, and if there's anything I should know about this particular species.

Particularly, I'd like to know when the best time to look for them is. I know that most ants have their nuptial flights after a rain shower, but it would be nice to know if they come out at a particular time of day, and what time of day is best to go looking for them.

KuroiOokami

Re: Advice on Catching Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queens

Sun May 22, 2022 6:20 am

Camponotus I believe are a great species species to start with catching, it's pretty hard to miss those giant queens and gets you used to seeing the differences in shape and movement of queens. Campo super majors can get me confused from a far early season because they are so large. I think it depends on the area because I read a lot of ppl have luck at night but I have always found my wingless females here in Central NY between 1 and 4 pm. Recent rains (not always the same day) hot temps above 70 degrees F, and a mild not too moderate wind seems to be the best days. Even still I have only found 2 Novaeboracensis queens in days of looking.

SavANT

Sun May 22, 2022 1:40 pm

Swirlby wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:56 am
I'm very new to ant-keeping, and I decided that I want to catch some carpenter ant queens and hopefully get my first colony going with one of them. There's an abundance of these big black carpenter ants at my grandparents' house, and they can be seen scurrying around on the driveway at any time of day. I've taken a look at them, and done some research, and they're definitely Camponotus Pennsyvanicus ants, in my extremely amateur opinion.

I haven't had much time to go looking, since my schedule has been pretty booked as of late. I've watched plenty of videos on searching for queens, but I would like some tips on where and when to look, and if there's anything I should know about this particular species.

Particularly, I'd like to know when the best time to look for them is. I know that most ants have their nuptial flights after a rain shower, but it would be nice to know if they come out at a particular time of day, and what time of day is best to go looking for them.
As of me, I caught about 12 Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queens(all fertile) on March 3rd 2022. I caught mine at about 8pm after a storm, tons of them all flying at a flood light. Being the first ant species I caught (I recently have about 5 different genus now), I would say they are fast growing as they appear to be 30+ workers, 1 major and tons of brood.
Keeper of;
Camponotus pennsylvanicus (4)
Camponotus consobrinus(1)

Swirlby

Tue May 24, 2022 12:43 am

There's a workshop up the road from my house that has floodlights around the garage doors. I guess I'll search around there right a storm comes on Wednesday.

Antloverhuman

Tue May 24, 2022 2:35 am

You can also catch tons of queens using blacklight(ender ants used this method to get alot of queens)
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue May 24, 2022 5:33 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
You can also catch tons of queens using blacklight(ender ants used this method to get alot of queens)
For Camponotus I have heard black light isn’t as successful, but instead go next to very bright lights like street lamps.(Not my experience, just what I have heard)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Swirlby

Tue May 24, 2022 2:31 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
For Camponotus I have heard black light isn’t as successful, but instead go next to very bright lights like street lamps.(Not my experience, just what I have heard)
There's a workshop and shed that my family owns, with five big floodlights around it, and nothing but gravel and concrete all around them. I live in a rural area, and the only other bright lights nearby are some floodlights next to a flagpole at my grandparents' house next door to the workshop and shed. I'm guessing that the best place to look is around that shop and shed after it rains?

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue May 24, 2022 2:35 pm

Swirlby wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:31 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
There's a workshop and shed that my family owns, with five big floodlights around it, and nothing but gravel and concrete all around them. I live in a rural area, and the only other bright lights nearby are some floodlights next to a flagpole at my grandparents' house next door to the workshop and shed. I'm guessing that the best place to look is around that shop and shed after it rains?
Yes, typically they fly at night.

Swirlby

Tue May 24, 2022 2:41 pm

It's going to rain all day tomorrow, probably past sunset. How long after it rains should I look?

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue May 24, 2022 2:51 pm

Swirlby wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:41 pm
It's going to rain all day tomorrow, probably past sunset. How long after it rains should I look?
If it is still raining at 9PM, they may not fly at reasonable hours. If it stops at 7, try to look around one hour after sunset.