Pseudomyrmex Gracilis Queen?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Pseudomyrmex Gracilis Queen?

Fri May 13, 2022 10:15 pm

SeanSz wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:31 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:07 am
SeanSz wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:16 pm
Does anyone have a Graceful Twig Ant queen? I’ve seen quite a few colonies around my house, but they are nestled in the trees, so I haven’t been able to get close enough. How did you obtain your queen? Also, I read that if these ants lose a queen, they can actually lay eggs and raise brood until a new queen is found, but could you simple catch a handful of workers and let them run a colony without a queen at all? If anyone has any knowledge, tips, or advice, it would help a lot!
Where did you read they can raise queens from a group of workers? I can’t find it anywhere

Edit: Did find an article saying like C Floridanus, they will not lay eggs in the presence of a queen
It may be inaccurate, but on Wikipedia, it says: If the colony ever finds themselves without a queen, the worker ants form dominance hierarchies by boxing with their antennae. This leads to a couple high ranking individuals to lay eggs until a new queen returns”.

I’ve included the link below. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudomyrmex_gracilis
I think it may mean until an alate finds its way to the colony, as in the full article I read that after a queen returns, dominant workers are immediately killed via stinging and Formic acid.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…