How to Catch Camponotus Queen?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

SeanSz

How to Catch Camponotus Queen?

Wed May 11, 2022 4:42 pm

Has anyone ever caught Camponotus queens using a white light trap? I just discovered that a large Camponotus floridanus colony in my yard has winged male alates ready to fly. Because we have a few days of rain coming up in my area, I am hoping to catch a few queens. If anyone has any advice and/or different lights that work well, please let me know… it would be much appreciated!

Aquaexploder

Re: How to Catch Camponotus Queen?

Wed May 11, 2022 9:24 pm

The light trap principle works because of uv light emitted by the light bulb. CFLs emit some uv light, but overall a proper uv emitting black light will give you the best results. This should help a ton http://www.formiculture.com/topic/5816-any-suggestions-for-a-black-light-to-attract-flying-ants-hopefully-mated-queens/?hl=light
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu May 12, 2022 8:27 am

SeanSz wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:42 pm
Has anyone ever caught Camponotus queens using a white light trap? I just discovered that a large Camponotus floridanus colony in my yard has winged male alates ready to fly. Because we have a few days of rain coming up in my area, I am hoping to catch a few queens. If anyone has any advice and/or different lights that work well, please let me know… it would be much appreciated!
Floridanus will fly in late May or June
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SeanSz

Thu May 12, 2022 2:30 pm

Aquaexploder wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:24 pm
The light trap principle works because of uv light emitted by the light bulb. CFLs emit some uv light, but overall a proper uv emitting black light will give you the best results. This should help a ton http://www.formiculture.com/topic/5816-any-suggestions-for-a-black-light-to-attract-flying-ants-hopefully-mated-queens/?hl=light
Nice! Thank you!