Anyone know when Nuptial flight?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Antcrisp

Anyone know when Nuptial flight?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:21 am

I live in the state of Neveda been waiting for months for a queen,now since spring is almost here.When is Nuptial flight?

Firestar987654321

Re: Anyone know when Nuptial flight?

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:21 am

It is normally in the summer months, like April,May,June

Martialis

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:27 am

Not only summer. You can find queens of many different genuses and species year-round (excluding winter). I've attached an AntsCanada video on this subject, which has a list of some commonly kept species/genuses and when they fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfaK8TvM0qA
Keeper of

Selliing:

BleedingRaindrops

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:37 am

Martialis wrote:Not only summer. You can find queens of many different genuses and species year-round (excluding winter)
In temperate regions yes, but I am keeping a few Pheidole queens I caught in Okinawa during a nupital flight just five weeks ago
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.

Martialis

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:45 am

Yep. Probably should have clarified that.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Antcrisp

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Martialis wrote:Not only summer. You can find queens of many different genuses and species year-round (excluding winter). I've attached an AntsCanada video on this subject, which has a list of some commonly kept species/genuses and when they fly.

Do i wait after the first rain in summer? Last fall i spend couple hours everyday looking for ant queen with no luck,i can say it was gettung frustaring. So i decide to wait for this year for Nuptial flight.

Also i live in a place where we barely get rain. Most of the time is just hot. Thx

Martialis

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Antcrisp wrote:
Martialis wrote:Not only summer. You can find queens of many different genuses and species year-round (excluding winter). I've attached an AntsCanada video on this subject, which has a list of some commonly kept species/genuses and when they fly.

Do i wait after the first rain in summer? Last fall i spend couple hours everyday looking for ant queen with no luck,i can say it was gettung frustaring. So i decide to wait for this year for Nuptial flight.

Also i live in a place where we barely get rain. Most of the time is just hot. Thx
I'm guessing you're in a desert. Try looking an hour or two after dark. The ants in your area most likely don't need rain to fly, otherwise there might be only a few flights a year. Some people have even had success with black light traps.
Keeper of

Selliing: