Nuptial flight updates and Queen sightings KY\IN\IL\OH\MI 2022 Edition

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

ANThonyluscious

Nuptial flight updates and Queen sightings KY\IN\IL\OH\MI 2022 Edition

Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:08 am

Hey y'all! Making this thread to kind of copy the threads of previous years and hopefully get a community back in here to help grow the hobby to more and more people in our area! I am in Indiana for those wondering!
Currently keeping: Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony just moved into an AC hybrid mini. :D

MikeKelly

Re: Nuptial flight updates and Queen sightings KY\IN\IL\OH\MI 2022 Edition

Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:58 am

Great idea! At this point in time, I haven’t seen any nuptial flights in Goose Creek, SC, but my area is under heavy construction and that may be affecting things.

ANThonyluscious

Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:16 pm

Last Wednesday it was upper 70's in southern Indiana and I spotted a Queen but didn't have anything to put her in. Now I got my things in the mail. I finally went back out today even though it was only mid 50's, it was still nice to get outside. The next week from Monday to Friday is supposed to rain and then be mid 60's to 70's on the weekend. I predict that will be the best time to go hunting for queens. I am very excited to say the least. I recently purchased a camera to capture my journey in the hobby of Ant keeping from my very very beginning. :D :D :D I will definitely be using the rainy days to practice my photography skills :lol:
Currently keeping: Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony just moved into an AC hybrid mini. :D

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:09 pm

ANThonyluscious wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:16 pm
Last Wednesday it was upper 70's in southern Indiana and I spotted a Queen but didn't have anything to put her in. Now I got my things in the mail. I finally went back out today even though it was only mid 50's, it was still nice to get outside. The next week from Monday to Friday is supposed to rain and then be mid 60's to 70's on the weekend. I predict that will be the best time to go hunting for queens. I am very excited to say the least. I recently purchased a camera to capture my journey in the hobby of Ant keeping from my very very beginning. :D :D :D I will definitely be using the rainy days to practice my photography skills :lol:
Know this isn’t part of the topic, I just wanted to inform y’all I caught Dorymyrmex and phedolie recently, so maybe nuptial flights are on the way for yall(close).
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

ANThonyluscious

Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:07 am

Been seeing a lot of ant Activity in my local parks in the last couple sunny days, and pavement ants at my back porch yesterday after the rains passed so its looking good!

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:46 pm

ANThonyluscious wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:07 am
Been seeing a lot of ant Activity in my local parks in the last couple sunny days, and pavement ants at my back porch yesterday after the rains passed so its looking good!
Yep. Finding 4-5 queens in my house every morning, though no colony lives in it. Must be getting under the door…

ANThonyluscious

Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:17 am

Was high 60's yesterday after hail and rain all last week and no queens anywhere on my side of southern Indiana. Will continue searching ;)

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:47 am

ANThonyluscious wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:17 am
Was high 60's yesterday after hail and rain all last week and no queens anywhere on my side of southern Indiana. Will continue searching ;)
Same, but no hail here. I think it will warm up over the weekend.(April 16-17)

Mohammadmacapundag

Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:24 pm

I saw a bunch of male ants wandering around my garage they were all flightless (with swings still on) and died a few hours after I caught them. I have also spotted some pavement, ghost, and carpenter ants in my home.
Currently Founding...
Carpenter Ant Queen (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus)6-9 Eggs, 2-3 larva, and 6-10 Workers

ouderui

Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:26 am

I'm also in southern Indiana. I have found several tetramorium queens so far, but I'm pretty sure that they are young and unmated and I just happened to come across them as they were moving the colony.

As usual, Indiana weather makes it a bit hard to predict when they'll fly. This is the time when I start carrying tubes with me pretty much everywhere I go and am constantly scouring the ground looking like I just lost a contact.