Newcastle,NSW, Australia

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

KhaoticAnts

Newcastle,NSW, Australia

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:29 am

Camponotus consobrinus (banded sugar ant) have begun to come out of the nest with several queens sighted, I'll go out later tonight to see if they have begun their nuptial flight and hopefully catch a few dealates as these are my favourite ants and have wanted to raise a colony since I first started. :D

KhaoticAnts

Re: Newcastle,NSW, Australia

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:39 am

http://imgur.com/a/tJppY
pictures of an unmated queen I caught and will release

chickenman297

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:57 pm

We have those here in Brisbane. They are gorgeous ants.

KhaoticAnts

Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:50 am

One of the nest's ended up flying and with the help of the local kids caught 4 queens but I have a question. I can still see virgin queens of the same species in different nests does that mean there will be more nuptial flights or have they "missed out" on their chance to fly? Any info on this subject is greatly appreciated :)

Batspiderfish

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:30 am

It means that these colonies will most likely be having another flight at the next opportune moment.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

KhaoticAnts

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:13 am

https://imgur.com/a/hnYIL
I managed to catch 27 of these queens even though I was eaten alive by mosquitos and had a run in with a red bellied black snake. The 4 in the bottom pictures were caught a week previous and have laid eggs the rest were caught tonight after the species 2nd nuptial flight this month with the help of a few neighbours. Very happy :D