I would want to start a colony, but..

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Hapnik

I would want to start a colony, but..

Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:57 am

Hi everyone!

I recently though recommended found the AntsCanada channel again. I used to watch it in the past but for some reason lost it and now I've been hugely intrested in it again and I would really like to start a colony of my own.
Now I've been trying to search when the common species around here have their nuptial flights but I'm going to be honest with you I have no idea what species live around here. For my whole life since I was a little kid I've been identifing ants as Red, Big Blacks and Small Blacks and that has been enough. I know what Genuses the ants are in and the most common Genuses here(in Estonia) are the Myrmica(11 species), Lasius(8 species) and Formica(7 species) and a few more. I haven't really had luck finding when specifically they have their Nuptial flight. The time varies from site to site so I am not sure.

Now I would like to catch myself a queen ant. I don't know if the mating season is over or not or if it has even started. I don't really have a specific ant that I wanna have. Any species will facinate me. Well, tbh the red ones are a bit troublesome so a black one could be a more desired one but I don't mind the red one. Now can anyone based on the Genus names rougly tell me if I have a change to catch a queen this year.

Ty for reading😅

SYUTEO

Re: I would want to start a colony, but..

Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:08 am

Right now nuptial flights are still happening, try to look for some after rain.