Nuptial Flights In Greece

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Giorgos

Nuptial Flights In Greece

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:14 am

Hello, does anyone know when are the nuptial flights in Greece? Also I would like to know if they happen at night because during the day it’s very hot and windy.

Sarvin

Re: Nuptial Flights In Greece

Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:42 am

According to my knowledge so far nuptial flights tend to happen in October here (I live in Crete), after light rain or a storm. I found all my ant queens in October, which may seem a bit late compared to other Nuptial flight data but it would seem that the rest of the year may be too dry for the common ant species such as Tetramorium Caespitum (The queens I came across).

Keep an eye out after rains and write down the location of ant nests you may come across. Depending on the species you might get lucky at unexpected times! I found my first fertilie queen alone at my school for example. She almost got trampled by kids running around. This is why staying sharp is important, especially since there isn't a lot of info about Nuptial flights in our country.

All in all, look out for Nuptial flights in October friend, ant love forever! :D

GilbertDam

-

Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:14 pm

I am sorry, it does not approach me. Perhaps there are still variants?
Create