PA - Brachymyrmex flight

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

SkeleAnt

PA - Brachymyrmex flight

Sun May 23, 2021 3:01 pm

I found my first queen of the season running about in late afternoon, the flight must have happened earlier in the day.

I can't say if they're brachymyrmex depilis or brachymyrmex patagonicus; the queens are darker like patagonicus, but the workers are all very light yellow, like depilis.

So for anyone in PA looking for a colony of some of the tiniest ants ever, these ants are flying now that the rain is coming back. Good luck!
2 founding formica subsericea
1 aphaenogaster rudis
1 brachymyrmex depilis
More still founding!

SkeleAnt

Re: PA - Brachymyrmex flight

Mon May 24, 2021 5:24 pm

SkeleAnt wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:01 pm
I found my first queen of the season running about in late afternoon, the flight must have happened earlier in the day.

I can't say if they're brachymyrmex depilis or brachymyrmex patagonicus; the queens are darker like patagonicus, but the workers are all very light yellow, like depilis.

So for anyone in PA looking for a colony of some of the tiniest ants ever, these ants are flying now that the rain is coming back. Good luck!

Confirmed that this is a brachymyrmex patagonicus flight, SW PA. Caught 9 queens today, saw 4 more running about, and dozens of males all over the place.
2 founding formica subsericea
1 aphaenogaster rudis
1 brachymyrmex depilis
More still founding!