jack jumper ant (Myrmecia pilosula) Western Australia

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Alcarria

jack jumper ant (Myrmecia pilosula) Western Australia

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:55 pm

Hello guys, ladies and gentlemen. I found 3 nests very close to the jumping jacks and I am very excited, I am in Western Australia in Perth.
I would like to know when is the nuptial flight of these ants, can someone help me please? :D

antsRlife

Re: jack jumper ant (Myrmecia pilosula) Western Australia

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:06 pm

The Nuptial flights are around late Jan-Mid Feb. But you can sometimes find queens walking around early spring after hibernation. But good tip if you do find one. Try and get her into a routine, feed her every 3-4 days around the same time and she will be less aggressive. I've actually been able to hand feed (as crazy as this sounds), my queen before with success.
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)

Alcarria

Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:20 am

:o reallyyyy you are crazy 😜 hahaha, the problem that I’m far away from the nest 1 hour to my house but I’ll try to go a couple of days early in the morning to see if I see the queen. I found 3 nests but probably there are more however I will go in the time of nuptials flights .
Thanks so much antsRlife 🙏🏽

Blkwtrrvr

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:25 am

Alcarria,
I would love to have an update from you on your quest as soon as this happens. We are fast approaching your window of opportunity. I hope and pray all goes well for you and that you are successful. 🤞🤞🤞

Blkwtrrvr

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:25 am

Alcarria,
I would love to have an update from you on your quest as soon as this happens. We are fast approaching your window of opportunity. I hope and pray all goes well for you and that you are successful. 🤞🤞🤞