BRITISH COLUMBIA NUPTIAL FLIGHTS

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Turret675A

BRITISH COLUMBIA NUPTIAL FLIGHTS

Mon May 11, 2020 4:47 am

Hey all,
Just wanted to give an update/report on the flights that happened recently in British Columbia Canada. Recently the weather has been pretty poor and mediocre, an average of 15-16C. However the last 3 days had a spike in heat. The temperatures went to the high 20s even some in the 30s which is pretty high for BC especially if you don't live in the interior. Anyways i saw the weather was spiking so i went out to a few different places and pretty much spent 3 whole days looking for flights. And boy did it pay off, I caught a bunch of Camponotus. About 11-12 of them. The species were C. Modoc, C.Vicinius, C.Novaeborecensis, C.Herculeanus, and C. Laevigatus. May is campo month but don't think other things won't fly, i found a lasius queen today as well since the weather was so hot. Hope this helps if you live in BC or a similar climate area.
Ants are pretty cool

In Richmond BC currently caring for:
X1 Campontus Herculeanus
X1 Camponotus Modoc
X1 Camponotus Novaeborecensis
X2 Formica Pacifica
X1 Formica Podzolica
X1 Formica Neorufabarbis
X1 Myrmica Incompleta

VanPolska

Re: BRITISH COLUMBIA NUPTIAL FLIGHTS

Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 am

Hi,

I live in Abbotsford, found x4 Camponotus Modoc queens a week ago, 2 of them are laying eggs now. I really want to find C.Herculeanus but no luck yet.

This is my first season starting a colony from scratch. I have a small colony I found landscaping 2 years ago in a large class container, not a very professional set up. What do you use as a nest for you C. Modoc?

Turret675A

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:22 am

Honestly the habitat/container/outworld, doesn't usually matter that much, but if you don't trust your DIY/crafting skills then can just buy the AC ant stuff. I just mostly use steep plastic containers with oil/baby powder/fluon barriers, connected to test tubes. However i find the experience making the nests quite fun and interesting. But again its up to you and your personal preference.
Hope this helps
Ants are pretty cool

In Richmond BC currently caring for:
X1 Campontus Herculeanus
X1 Camponotus Modoc
X1 Camponotus Novaeborecensis
X2 Formica Pacifica
X1 Formica Podzolica
X1 Formica Neorufabarbis
X1 Myrmica Incompleta

MajiK604

Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:07 pm

Turret675A wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:47 am
Hey all,
Just wanted to give an update/report on the flights that happened recently in British Columbia Canada. Recently the weather has been pretty poor and mediocre, an average of 15-16C. However the last 3 days had a spike in heat. The temperatures went to the high 20s even some in the 30s which is pretty high for BC especially if you don't live in the interior. Anyways i saw the weather was spiking so i went out to a few different places and pretty much spent 3 whole days looking for flights. And boy did it pay off, I caught a bunch of Camponotus. About 11-12 of them. The species were C. Modoc, C.Vicinius, C.Novaeborecensis, C.Herculeanus, and C. Laevigatus. May is campo month but don't think other things won't fly, i found a lasius queen today as well since the weather was so hot. Hope this helps if you live in BC or a similar climate area.
Hello new any keeper hear so excuse my lack of knowledge. Are Camponotus still flying? I live in Vancouver Surrey and really was hopeful to get componotus for my first colony. Mostly because they slowly grow as far as I've been reading compared to lasius and others in the areas I live. This is my first attempt to catch my own queens and for any colony really. Any knowledge would be a huge help. Take care
:) In my first year of ant keeping after dreaming about it for 6 years :)

AM1C39

Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:18 pm

Here in ontario it hase just rained so they might be flying again this week. Camponotus flights are usually still happening until after the end of august. Good luck!
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]