BRITISH COLUMBIA NUPTIAL FLIGHTS

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Turret675A

BRITISH COLUMBIA NUPTIAL FLIGHTS

Mon May 11, 2020 4:47 am

Hey all,
Just wanted to give an update/report on the flights that happened recently in British Columbia Canada. Recently the weather has been pretty poor and mediocre, an average of 15-16C. However the last 3 days had a spike in heat. The temperatures went to the high 20s even some in the 30s which is pretty high for BC especially if you don't live in the interior. Anyways i saw the weather was spiking so i went out to a few different places and pretty much spent 3 whole days looking for flights. And boy did it pay off, I caught a bunch of Camponotus. About 11-12 of them. The species were C. Modoc, C.Vicinius, C.Novaeborecensis, C.Herculeanus, and C. Laevigatus. May is campo month but don't think other things won't fly, i found a lasius queen today as well since the weather was so hot. Hope this helps if you live in BC or a similar climate area.
Ants are pretty cool

In Richmond BC currently caring for:
X1 Campontus Herculeanus
X1 Camponotus Modoc
X1 Camponotus Novaeborecensis
X2 Formica Pacifica
X1 Formica Podzolica
X1 Formica Neorufabarbis
X1 Myrmica Incompleta

VanPolska

Re: BRITISH COLUMBIA NUPTIAL FLIGHTS

Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 am

Hi,

I live in Abbotsford, found x4 Camponotus Modoc queens a week ago, 2 of them are laying eggs now. I really want to find C.Herculeanus but no luck yet.

This is my first season starting a colony from scratch. I have a small colony I found landscaping 2 years ago in a large class container, not a very professional set up. What do you use as a nest for you C. Modoc?