Camponotus Ocreatus California

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

DeathToUnknown

Camponotus Ocreatus California

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:27 pm

Recently, after lifting up some shallow rocks, I discovered a bunch of alates I believe will fly soon. I'm pretty sure they are Camponotus Ocreatus. From what I've read about nuptial flights, they almost always fly after a big storm. The weather here, however, is supposed to be 90 degrees with no rain in sight. Is there any specific time I should look for them, or should I just check every day and hope I get lucky? Since this species is normally nocturnal, would they fly in the evening hours?

Thank you!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Camponotus Ocreatus California

Wed May 04, 2022 7:34 am

DeathToUnknown wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:27 pm
Recently, after lifting up some shallow rocks, I discovered a bunch of alates I believe will fly soon. I'm pretty sure they are Camponotus Ocreatus. From what I've read about nuptial flights, they almost always fly after a big storm. The weather here, however, is supposed to be 90 degrees with no rain in sight. Is there any specific time I should look for them, or should I just check every day and hope I get lucky? Since this species is normally nocturnal, would they fly in the evening hours?

Thank you!
Most people say they find Camponotus 5-7PM after heavy rains, high humidity, and low winds.
Good luck! :)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…