Southern Ontario (Toronto) - Lasius ??

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

MLavers

Re: Southern Ontario (Toronto) - Lasius ??

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:21 pm

Seems that you and I have some similar notions on this. I like it. If you need any assistance in compiling data, I'd be happy to help out.

I've been using timeanddate.com/weather to get my historical weather data for various locations. I've been able to find hourly weather info for different cities at different times.

Do you have any personal experiences you can share on what time you've seen Lasius flights? Like the Pittsburgh nuptial flight that was reported on 19 Sep. That one was around 6pm. The one here was earlier in the day.

In the spring, I'm hoping to start pulling down reports of other ant species as well, but I figure I should start with one.

Thanks,

ML

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:12 pm

To the best of my experience, Lasius start flying in the afternoon, as early as 2 PM, with the most alates appearing at around 7 PM. I have seen Lasius umbratus alates taking off as early as 10 AM, but I assume these are reproductives that flew the night before and were grounded by low temperatures.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

jotapeh

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:03 am

Data! I like this. I'll do my best to accurately/succinctly catalogue my sightings:

All in Southwestern Toronto (Etobicoke, Mimico area)

Sep 18, roughly 2-5PM EST
Sunny, calm winds, medium humidity
3 Lasius sp. (one of which I kept, being Lasius neoniger)

Sep 21, roughly 3-6PM EST
Few clouds, calm winds, somewhat dry
1 Myrmica Queen
1 Camponotus Male

The IDs were made by @Batspiderfish earlier in this thread, and he noted that the camponotus flight was particularly late

Side note. Almost without exception I have found all these about two blocks away from my home, in an area near a field by a factory/warehouse. Many of them were flying very poorly, landing upside down frequently and struggling. I spotted one which was rapidly fluttering its wings but could not take off.

Not sure if they had been harmed, perhaps by a lawnmower or pesticide?

Batspiderfish

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Ants are awful fliers.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MLavers

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:49 pm

Not surprising when you think about it. The alates spend almost their entire lives underground. The nuptial flight is their very first time spreading their wings, and they get to do the whole thing while sexually charged. It's a wonder they can fly at all under those circumstances.

MLavers

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Last night (October 6th) was a good night for Lasius. I caught 6 additional Lasius Claviger, and saw many more that I just couldn't be bothered to catch. All were caught approx. 6pm.

I also came up with a Myrmica queen, and something I haven't ID'd yet. I think it might be a Camponotus worker, but it's moving too fast for me and I haven't gotten a good photo yet.

And this evening (October 7th) I found only one queen. A Lasius Neoniger (finally).

Weather on both evenings was just above 20C, calm. Not particularly humid to me, but I'll have to check the %RH.