Pavement Ant Nuptial Flight - Sacramento, CA

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

jfulkerson812

Pavement Ant Nuptial Flight - Sacramento, CA

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 pm

I am new to ant keeping and am curious when the nuptial flight for Pavement Ants should begin. I have read 2 options: May/June/July, but there are video's that AntsCanada put out that say as early as March. Please help...I'm eager to begin the search! I am located near Sacramento, CA.

Thank you,
Nathan Fulkerson

Whitelotus

Re: Pavement Ant Nuptial Flight - Sacramento, CA

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:30 pm

Pavement ants from my experience has been in mid May to the end of May. I live in San Joaquin County and that is when I usually see them flying. I do not see many flying in June or July. Tetramorium are common in my area, just look for a colony, and keep track of it from time to time, you will notice virgin queens start to be near the entrance of their nests before they fly.

YeeYeeYee

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:23 pm

For me tetramorium tend to start flying in june, july, and august in the early morning. I wake up right before school and walk outside to my court, and I see tons of queens and males on the ground, flying or on cars. It's really easy to get a colony with this species :D :D :D :D :D :D
I've never actually seen a nuptial flight though
Founding:
Prenolepis imparis

Luke925

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:18 pm

jfulkerson812 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 pm
I am new to ant keeping and am curious when the nuptial flight for Pavement Ants should begin. I have read 2 options: May/June/July, but there are video's that AntsCanada put out that say as early as March. Please help...I'm eager to begin the search! I am located near Sacramento, CA.

Thank you,
Nathan Fulkerson
Yo Nate,

Any luck catching a Pavement Ant Queen? If you run into any and have an opportunity to catch 2 or more, would you catch one for me? I will do the same if I run into any over here in Walnut Creek (East Bay).

Thank you,

Luke