Oklahoma Nuptial Flight Sightings 2020

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Fourteen

Re: Oklahoma Nuptial Flight Sightings 2020

Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:20 pm

Hello! I'm brand new to this to, this is my first year. As far as I know, it being in 40s, like today, is to cold for any alates to fly. I would look for a warmer day after rain, like 60 and up degrees. As for species around where you live, I think that just depends. Around my house there is a lot of camponotus pennsylvanicus, black carpenter ants, and fire ants. If you see a species you have further questions about there is a ton of people here more knowledgeable than I am on this subject, and you can post a picture and they will know for sure. I will update if any flights start here, good luck!

ThatPanda48

Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:45 pm

So, right now I have my queen in a test tube in my room. My room is air conditioned so I need a way to keep her warm in my room. Does anyone know a better option than putting a heating pad close to them? I just have her in a cardboard box with the heating pad outside the box.

Fourteen

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:10 am

Hey Everyone! Today is a good day to go queen ant hunting, I just found one in my blacklight trap and I'm going on a walk here soon, so keep your eyes peeled!

Good Luck!

ArmyAntz

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi everyone!

My goal this year is to raise a colony of Solenopsis Invicta, fire ant. Does anyone know when a good time to look for queens in the OKC area is, or where to look? Thanks!

Fourteen

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:20 pm

This being my first year, this may not be the most trustworthy answer. That said, I have heard the you are most likely to find them between may-june. If you are lucky, they may fly as late as September. Good luck!

iREDRUM

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:10 am

There are different species that have nuptial flights throughout spring,summer and fall. Im still trying to identify the 2 Queens I have in test tubes. One Queen has recently laid eggs and there is a whole bunch of them, I have probably had them for well over a month now. There is a video the AntsCanada has for the seasons of times of the year that is usually pretty good for the U.S. to find Ant Queens. Also looking at the temp and rain is another good indication. For instance i caught my Queens 1-2 days after it rained and it was at least in the 70s for the temp. I have recently found 2 ants colonies in my yard so what do I do, I carefully dig up the one in the front yard and find the Queen, grab as many workers as I can(this colony also had supermajors) and put them in an 10gal tank. Since owning these and having them in a tank, they have multiplied significantly and its pretty awesome looking at the tunnels they have created through the glass, still dont know what species it is. The other colony that I have transported is the Acrobat species. They were in a piece of fire wood and I was looking around so I had another 40gal tank laying around and put that log in the tank standing straight up not touching the sides and have created a pretty good habitat for them and boy have the multiplied. Soon I will send pics of it so yall can see it. Sorry that I have been kinda AFK from chat, life has it ways of moving time very fast. Ill try to at least check the forums once a day if I can. Hope the best for yall and happy hunting.

Thanks, Red

iREDRUM

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:37 am

Here is those Pics of my one Queen,

Fourteen

Sat May 02, 2020 6:47 pm

Dang! That's a nice queen! My queen (maybe camponotus sp. but not sure) just laid eggs today. I'm pretty excited. since it is now may I assume it is good time to go out and look more often now? Thanks!

iREDRUM

Sat May 02, 2020 9:10 pm

Possibly, depends on what the temp, humidity, and what not. If the Ants feel like it is time for their nuptial flight its time if you know what I mean. I caught that Queen back at the beginning of March I believe. All the temps were saying to go out there.

Thanks, Red

ArmyAntz

Mon May 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Does this Thursday look like a good time to go hunting? (78 degrees) Or will they not fly the same day that it rains, as it looks like Friday will be bad conditions.