Oklahoma Nuptial Flight Sightings 2020

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Conureguy98

Re: Oklahoma Nuptial Flight Sightings 2020

Wed May 06, 2020 7:32 am

Hey guys! I'm new to this and trying to get my first ant colony this spring / summer, I've had a couple failed attempts at trying to find a queen. Does tomorrow 5/6 or Friday 5/7 look like a good time to go on a queen hunt? Also does anybody know anybody who might be selling some newly mated queens? It seems the GAN farmers for our area haven't been active lately. Please let me know!

ArmyAntz

Thu May 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Conureguy98 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:32 am
Hey guys! I'm new to this and trying to get my first ant colony this spring / summer, I've had a couple failed attempts at trying to find a queen. Does tomorrow 5/6 or Friday 5/7 look like a good time to go on a queen hunt? Also does anybody know anybody who might be selling some newly mated queens? It seems the GAN farmers for our area haven't been active lately. Please let me know!
Hey! So from what I can see, Friday will be a bad day for flights (windy and cool).

It looks like May 9th or May 13th would be good, but who knows.

iREDRUM

Sat May 09, 2020 5:33 pm

Hey,

I need to get notifications on here, i seem to miss the posts and forget at times. I would say May 14th if it stays the same as what the weather channel says for Tulsa. Day before it rains and then warms up the next day I think is ideal but Im just as new as you all are in this. if your from Tulsa I can give a pretty good route other than that I can only give what I think the best day is and when I would go to look. I hope this helps, @Armyants I have caught queens walking on the ground on windy days so just because it is windy doesnt mean that wont be walking. Thanks for reading and hope to hear from yall soon.

Thanks,
Red

Conureguy98

Wed May 13, 2020 9:59 am

Good news! I actually ended up seeing a queen walking across my balcony shortly after making that post! It looks like it might be a camponotus sansabenaus?? I'll send some pictures soon as I'm trying my best not to disturb her. Maybe she heard my call for a queen ant lol. Thank you all for the great help! I also found alot of fire ants in my area so when they start going I might catch a few and join the GAN project for our area!

Fourteen

Wed May 13, 2020 9:07 pm

Thats great to hear! You are lucky, camponotus would be one of my most ideal species to keep. Please keep us updated on your queen, but don't disturb her to often! If you end up joining the GAN project, you may have a customer :D Good luck with the queen!

ArmyAntz

Thu May 14, 2020 7:22 am

iREDRUM wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:33 pm
Hey,

I need to get notifications on here, i seem to miss the posts and forget at times. I would say May 14th if it stays the same as what the weather channel says for Tulsa. Day before it rains and then warms up the next day I think is ideal but Im just as new as you all are in this. if your from Tulsa I can give a pretty good route other than that I can only give what I think the best day is and when I would go to look. I hope this helps, @Armyants I have caught queens walking on the ground on windy days so just because it is windy doesnt mean that wont be walking. Thanks for reading and hope to hear from yall soon.

Thanks,
Red
Ah okay. From what I’ve read, anything above 10 - 15 mph the ants won’t have nuptial flights because alates are poor fliers and I guess will get knocked around by the wind. But I guess it just depends on the species or whatnot.

Anyway, I’m hoping the next few days in OKC will be promising for flights, I didn’t find anything yesterday.

Fourteen

Thu May 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Hi! I was wondering is there anywhere to buy ants in Oklahoma, there is not GAN farmers, so should I just wait and see if anyone signs up? Thanks!

ThatPanda48

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:41 am

Fourteen wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:00 pm
Hi! I was wondering is there anywhere to buy ants in Oklahoma, there is not GAN farmers, so should I just wait and see if anyone signs up? Thanks!
Hey, so after my first Queen I caught a few months ago, I got a second ant. I might be willing to sell them after the grow up a little bit. I'm not sure yet. What kind of Queens are you looking for?

iREDRUM

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:17 am

Hello,

I hope everyone has been great, Im looking forward to hearing about your catches and current Queens and/or Colonies. I am sorry that I have not been around, there has been a lot of RL things going on so I have not had the time to really get on here. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Fourteen

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi!

I would be down to buy, but one of my queens that I thought was dead just produced 10 workers today! Also, just caught 13 solenopsis sp. queens, I think they are invicta so sadly I will have to kill them as I don't want to give away or raise an invasive species.