Oklahoma Nuptial Flight Sightings 2020

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

iREDRUM

Oklahoma Nuptial Flight Sightings 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:25 am

Hello,

I am creating this thread for people who live in Oklahoma, so we can communicate on when we are seeing nuptial flights. I feel that this could help us out if people start using it. I am very new ant enthusiast and I will be looking for my first Queen this year and possibly more also this year. I hope that everyone has a wonderful time and soon we will see this thread hopefully blow up. Have fun and good hunting.

Thanks,
Red

iREDRUM

Re: Oklahoma Nuptial Flight Sightings 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Hello,

Looks like there might be some days coming up that may be ideal for some Nuptial Flights to be happening. Just throwing this out there for us to keep our eyes open. Feb. 16th and Feb. 17th look like the days we should be keeping our eyeballs to the ground more. Thanks for reading.Image

Thanks,
Red

iREDRUM

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:59 am

Hello,

If your around the Tulsa area, there might be some days coming up that may be good for nuptial flights. Keep your eyes peeled for some winged friends.Image

Thanks,
Red

iREDRUM

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 am

Good Morning,

Ill be going out today to see what I can find, if there is anything I will be sure to let yall know. Have fun and good luck.

Thanks,
Red

iREDRUM

Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:38 pm

Hello,

Well today was a good day to go out and look for a Queen. I found 1 queen today, still dont know what species it is but will update yall on that soon. So if your in Oklahoma especially around the Tulsa area there might be some nuptial flights going on, so keep your eyes peeled. Thanks for reading.

Thanks,
Red

iREDRUM

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:47 pm

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing great, so today was a decent day to go out and find some Queens. I wasn't able to stay out long today but in the short time that i was outside I found one Queen with wings off. I'm really excited for this Queen because I feel the promise from her as long as she stays alive that is. I will be putting a pic of her in here soon. I hope everyone is having good luck out there this year so far, I believe that tomorrow will be another good day to go find some Queens. Keep your eyes peeled and Good Luck.

Thanks,
Red

Fourteen

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:10 am

Hello! I am a first year newbie trying to get into this hobby, living in the Norman area of Oklahoma. I have never caught a queen before, and I was wondering if I could get some tips on finding them in Oklahoma, when I should look, where I should look, and what it is I should be looking for. Thanks!

ThatPanda48

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Hey, so I'm pretty new too this whole thing too. I live in Stillwater. I just wanted to say a few things coming from a person who just caught their first queen ant a few days ago. 1) The queen ants look like queen ants. As in, they are BIG, compared to other ants. They will either have wings on them or they will have their wings off and you can see where their wings came off. 2) Its better to find queen ants when they have their wings off so you can be sure that they have found a male, mated, and are now looking for a place to burrow to start their new colony. it is ok if you find one with the wings on, just know that you can't be certain that they have mated yet. 3) The queen ants have a huge thorax, I think its called that, the middle section of their body is very big and king of boxy. At least it was for the Camponotus queen I found. As far as where and when too look for queens. I'm pretty sure you can just look literally anywhere. The queen I found was in my house on the front door and it was 11:00 pm at night. I was so lucky to find her. I would say your best bet is to go to camp grounds if they are open and find some hiking trails to look around on. I REALLY wanted to find a Prenolepis Imparis (Winter Ants) queen but I think its too late for them now. And they are really hard to find I think. Good luck!

Fourteen

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks for the reply! After doing some research Prenolepis Imparis sound awesome, but I agree that I think they have already flown. I walked everyday last week on nature trails and sidewalks, and sadly found nothing. I was planning to do some hunting today but I cold front moved in where I'm at and now it is 40 degrees and supposed to snow tomorrow, which is very unfortunate. Hoping to catch a camponotus pennsylvanicus once it warms up. Thanks!

Funran

Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Hey everyone, I'm also looking to find a queen and start this hobby myself. I live in Edmond and I've recently been studying what to look for in a queen. Im curious if when the weather drops to the 40s like it is today, do the ants stay inside? Also curious what ants types are likely around my house? I keep seeing a random stray walk through my office in the house but cannot find where they're coming from. Any Oklahoma advice would be appreciated. And if anyone ends up getting two queens, let me know and we can figure something out!