Solenopsis Flight in Denton tx.

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

StormAnts444

Solenopsis Flight in Denton tx.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:47 pm

Hey guys I'm trying to figure when the best time for me to capture my own solenopsis Queen around Denton Tx area? Any thoughts ideas plz message me.

Thank you

JustJamel

Re: Solenopsis Flight in Denton tx.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:46 pm

StormAnts444 wrote:Hey guys I'm trying to figure when the best time for me to capture my own solenopsis Queen around Denton Tx area? Any thoughts ideas plz message me.

Thank you
Sup StormAnts444,

I found this really cool, and detailed .pdf on the subject. Here is what they had to say:

"In the USA, nuptial flights occur the evening after rain, or the next day, if conditions (temperature and wind speed) are otherwise suitable. Flight periods of microgynes (small queens) occur in autumn *YAY!* after those of macrogynes, after which they attempt to join already established colonies. Mating takes place 100 to 250 metres in the air. Newly mated queens seek moist areas, normally within one mile (1.6 km) of the mother colony. If the female lands on a suitable site, she digs a small burrow in the soil, usually under a leaf, rock, or in a small crevice. She excavates a small chamber at the end of the burrow and seals it." [MAE BioSecurity New Zealand]

If you want, I can email you the .pdf if it will help. I am not sure it will though, because the file was written to talk badly about the ant, and it's destructive capabilities. Nonetheless, you have a time period now, and you are coming up on it shortly. :)

Lot's of luck mate :D
Just Jamel

There is nothing you can add to unique perfection.
Stay uniquely perfected my friends. 8-)

StormAnts444

Re: Solenopsis Flight in Denton tx.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:52 pm

That is awesome and seems legit. Yea that would be nice here is my email, jordanthegreat3444@yahoo.com

Thanks so much Jamal I highly appreciate your help