Possible Camponotus vicinus flights in southern Ontario.

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

loupgaroupgris

Re: Possible Camponotus vicinus flights in southern Ontario.

Fri May 20, 2022 8:45 am

AM1C39 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:38 am
loupgaroupgris wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:24 pm
Its been raining lately.
Has anyone from around here seen any queens?
There have been a lot of species flying around lately. Good luck!
I've not seen much but yesterday when I was working I did see a few males in the window so yeah they seem to be walking around now.
I'm not sure what species they were but I think it was the small common black ant you see everywhere. They are usually the most common ones to get inside buildings and houses.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri May 20, 2022 9:14 am

loupgaroupgris wrote:
AM1C39 wrote:
loupgaroupgris wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:24 pm
Its been raining lately.
Has anyone from around here seen any queens?
I've not seen much but yesterday when I was working I did see a few males in the window so yeah they seem to be walking around now.
I'm not sure what species they were but I think it was the small common black ant you see everywhere. They are usually the most common ones to get inside buildings and houses.
I have African Big Headed ants fly in my house in early winter. I am in Florida though, and I don’t think that species is in Canada(May be wrong). Sometimes, males will have nuptial flights while females won’t. This sometimes happens here, where you will only find males for one night, the next you may find females. I have had Camponotus fly in February, but it was only males(I checked from 6-11PM.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

loupgaroupgris

Sun May 22, 2022 10:47 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:14 am
loupgaroupgris wrote:
AM1C39 wrote:

I have African Big Headed ants fly in my house in early winter. I am in Florida though, and I don’t think that species is in Canada(May be wrong). Sometimes, males will have nuptial flights while females won’t. This sometimes happens here, where you will only find males for one night, the next you may find females. I have had Camponotus fly in February, but it was only males(I checked from 6-11PM.
I don't think we have them but that is still good to know since most American and Canadian species are related and for some share the same spaces.

All in all I hope everyone is ok even after the storm. Hope no one got hurt or lost too many things to the winds.

I do wonder if it might have brought out a couple flights. I've not seen anything this morning but I will do a quick check up at 3PM and update you all.

loupgaroupgris

Mon May 23, 2022 2:11 pm

Sorry for the late update, but it was raining at 3 PM yesterday so I figured nothing was going to come out during the rain. Still I've check today but I did not fine anything. I'm surprised, heck the normal ants themselves don't seem like they want to come out either. I've seen very little. I'm not sure if I'm just unlucky or what but I find this to be kind of strange.

How about you guys? Any luck?

loupgaroupgris

Mon May 23, 2022 2:56 pm

OH! Hey quick update I just found either a Camponotus pennsylvanicus Queen or a novaeboracensis but I'm pretty sure its a Pennsy. So keep an eye out guys! They are flying.