Nuptial flight troubles

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

perryismyname

Nuptial flight troubles

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:45 pm

This is my first year with ant keeping and I am having a bit of trouble. My troubles is not with ant keeping itself because I have all sorts of materials to make formicariums and outworlds, my problem is with the nuptial flights and catching queens. I have 2 queens at the moment but I did not find them myself. My first queen I found under my ant keeping bag trying to make a nest and the second my buddy found. So I still have not caught a queen whilst on a queen hunting walk. I just wanted to ask some questions to make sure I am doing things right. First I live in Eugene Oregon and we have not had rain in the past month also there is no rain planned for the near future, how much is that going to affect normal nuptial flight schedules? What weather condition should I look for that would signal nuptial flights? Will all species nuptial flights get delayed until rain? Is my search pathway a good place to look? (I have left a direct link to the trail in google earth, you can see the pathway I walk and sometimes slowly bike, It follows the amazon creek) What should I look for in a queen hunting trail? Lastly am I too late for most common nuptial flights?
Google earth link to the pathway I walk commonly https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fern+ ... 08!5m1!1e4
Thanks -Perry

Batspiderfish

Re: Nuptial flight troubles

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:26 pm

I'm not sure how the rain affects the flights where you are, but rain is not a necessity for flights. Try to look on warm days when the humidity is higher than usual. Looking on dirt paths at the edge of forests or lakes is usually sufficient.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.