peculiar egg laying (if the eggs are eggs)

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AstralWither

peculiar egg laying (if the eggs are eggs)

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:07 pm

so, my recently caught tetramorium queen seems to be acting strange with her eggs, if they are eggs. she seems to have laid 5 eggs grouped together, but a few are scattered onto the cotton. could the queen be selecting certain eggs? the eggs also seem to be tiny and round, not oval, and they have been laid last night. is this egg laying behavior normal? are they even eggs?
Founding:
Tetramorium species E.

noahmk12

Re: peculiar egg laying (if the eggs are eggs)

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:24 pm

some ant lay eggs in time segments taking 'breaks' to tind to them. so she probably laid her batch and is now taking a break. ;)
Catching- Lasius niger.
Keeping- none.

Ant Love Forever

Hawkeye

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:54 am

AstralWither wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:07 pm
so, my recently caught tetramorium queen seems to be acting strange with her eggs, if they are eggs. she seems to have laid 5 eggs grouped together, but a few are scattered onto the cotton. could the queen be selecting certain eggs? the eggs also seem to be tiny and round, not oval, and they have been laid last night. is this egg laying behavior normal? are they even eggs?
Seems fine to me

AstralWither

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 am

nvm, everything seems normal, but there is a problem: some are grouped together and some are scattered. are the eggs infertile or fertile?
Founding:
Tetramorium species E.

Hawkeye

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 pm

AstralWither wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 am
nvm, everything seems normal, but there is a problem: some are grouped together and some are scattered. are the eggs infertile or fertile?
I wouldn't worry about how they are grouped (or not) she will tend to them regardless. And she won't let anything go to waste should there somehow be something wrong with one of the eggs. She'll probably just eat it.

Best advice? Leave her in the dark and don't check on her for about two weeks at least. Trust me I know how difficult that is...