Nuptial flights in kuwait

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Sarabku

Nuptial flights in kuwait

Thu May 23, 2019 11:28 am

I looked all over the internet and I have not found any information about nuptial flights in Kuwait, I am looking for a formica colony, but others will do just fine, i'm a beginner to ant keeping and i would like to keep my first ant colony, thanks.

AntsDakota

Re: Nuptial flights in kuwait

Thu May 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Sarabku wrote:
I looked all over the internet and I have not found any information about nuptial flights in Kuwait, I am looking for a formica colony, but others will do just fine, i'm a beginner to ant keeping and i would like to keep my first ant colony, thanks.
I heard that Monomorium live in Kuwait. But I'm not so sure Formica is very common in the Middle East, either, yet Monomorium are great beginner ants. I don't know about Kuwait, but elsewhere they usually fly in May, June, and July.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Sarabku

Thu May 23, 2019 6:00 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Sarabku wrote:
I heard that Monomorium live in Kuwait. But I'm not so sure Formica is very common in the Middle East, either, yet Monomorium are great beginner ants. I don't know about Kuwait, but elsewhere they usually fly in May, June, and July.
Thank you, but can i please get a detailed explanation on how to identify a monomorium queen? I think i saw one earlier, it had wings and it's a bit bigger than normal, but i am not sure, i am new to ant keeping and i'm very exited to get my first colony, but i am quite terrified of somethings, first i am scared that i'll never be able to find any queens, as the area i live in is quite closed off with no soil. other things don't matter rn, as well as food, what do they eat? And do i need to give them arthropods? or can i just give them nuts, cause i am quite squeamish about big bugs, ants, not too much.

Helianthus

Fri May 24, 2019 1:49 pm

I would try to learn about what native ants you have there in Kuwait. Many desert areas have a rich diversity of ant species, and I bet Kuwait could be very diverse as well. I would also bet that nuptial flights would be tied to the start or end of the rainy/monsoon seasons.
As for feeding the ants, you will definitely need to feed them arthropods unless you find a harvester ant species that can live off of seeds (a lot of desert ants are like this).

AntsDakota

Sun May 26, 2019 2:52 pm

Sarabku wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:00 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
Sarabku wrote:
Thank you, but can i please get a detailed explanation on how to identify a monomorium queen? I think i saw one earlier, it had wings and it's a bit bigger than normal, but i am not sure, i am new to ant keeping and i'm very exited to get my first colony, but i am quite terrified of somethings, first i am scared that i'll never be able to find any queens, as the area i live in is quite closed off with no soil. other things don't matter rn, as well as food, what do they eat? And do i need to give them arthropods? or can i just give them nuts, cause i am quite squeamish about big bugs, ants, not too much.
Monomorium minimum are small, black ants. Their queens only get to be about five millimeters in length, and workers only one or two. They often have long, plump abdomens as well. I find that if you stare at pictures of the species, and then pictures of other ants for long enough, you can eventually tell the difference.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25