I found a male alate but i forgot to take a pic what could it be?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

ZbsAntNation

I found a male alate but i forgot to take a pic what could it be?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:44 am

So i was walking home from looking for more winter ant queens around my area and house and i did manage to find two so far but i noticed something strange i was seeing larger male alates that the winter ant queens were and i know there way smaller because i found male winter ant alates but i dont know what these ones might be like i said i let it go befor taking a pic but im in Pennsylvania usa and i didnt know of any other ants that would be flying when its still this cold out any suggestions on what they might be like. I said there a good bit bigger that my winter ant queens but there not really what i would think a camponotus would be so i wad kinda thinking formica but its hard to really tell because alot of male alates look somewhat the same being kinda plain black and halveing silver ish wings and i halven found any queens yet for what ever they are so im gonna not make this go on forever lol but anny way if anyone has any ideas let me know im in Pennsylvania usa and it was just yesterday yesterday

ZbsAntNation

Re: I found a male alate but i forgot to take a pic what could it be?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:47 am

Is it bad that i actually halve figured out the best thing to do to find what ants are flying is to look on the front my familys cars and spider webs to see what got hit/caught Luckaly ive just seen male alates it would make me sad to see a queen

BarsheepTashooo

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:57 pm

I think they may or may not be Black Carpenter Ants (Camponotus pennsylvanicus).

unfortunately though there isn't as many articles on ants that live there compared to articles on pest control :(

I hope this helps
(Happy) Keeper of:
Many fertile Queen ants(and some ant eggs)
2 Guinea pigs
A bunch of plants
And 1 Sister :lol:

ZbsAntNation

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:11 pm

Thx it does thats what I was thinking and yes most ant articles sadly are just on pest control wich I also find sad because you really halve to dig to find what your looking for