Can you find Camponotus in the uk?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

plasmaspy

Can you find Camponotus in the uk?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 pm

Can camponotus ants be found in the uk? I've looked online and the information I've found doesn't seem to be conclusive. I saw a species called camponotus britteni that supposedly can be found in the uk but the samples were from australia. Some sites say they're an introduced species whereas others don't list them at all for being a british species. Would I be able to find them in the nearby woodland/forest or should I give up and seek a different type of ant?

ClashOwenBash

Re: Can you find Camponotus in the uk?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:19 pm

plasmaspy wrote:
Can camponotus ants be found in the uk? I've looked online and the information I've found doesn't seem to be conclusive. I saw a species called camponotus britteni that supposedly can be found in the uk but the samples were from australia. Some sites say they're an introduced species whereas others don't list them at all for being a british species. Would I be able to find them in the nearby woodland/forest or should I give up and seek a different type of ant?
As a uk ant-keeper myself I can confirm that even though there have been a few accounts of Camponotus sp in the uk, I wouldn't consider Camponotus sp as native to the Isles. As for a different species of ant, I can list the ant species I have personally seen in Oxfordshire where I live: Lasius Niger, and Flavus, Myrmica Rubra, Formica Fusca. I know that isn't a lot of varity but your only other option is buying a queen online (which isn't illegal in the Uk). Hope this helps, and glad to hear of another Uk ant-keeper!
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

plasmaspy

Re: Can you find Camponotus in the uk?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:23 pm

*** SPAM *** wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:19 pm
plasmaspy wrote:
As a uk ant-keeper myself I can confirm that even though there have been a few accounts of Camponotus sp in the uk, I wouldn't consider Camponotus sp as native to the Isles. As for a different species of ant, I can list the ant species I have personally seen in Oxfordshire where I live: Lasius Niger, and Flavus, Myrmica Rubra, Formica Fusca. I know that isn't a lot of varity but your only other option is buying a queen online (which isn't illegal in the Uk). Hope this helps, and glad to hear of another Uk ant-keeper!
Okay, thanks for the info, that's what I expected really. I'll probably be after lasius niger or flavus then but I'll see what I can find in north london this year. I wouldn't really feel comfortable buying a non-native species online.