Queen ants in Armação dos Búzios/Rio de Janeiro/Brasil

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

StrawSamurai

Queen ants in Armação dos Búzios/Rio de Janeiro/Brasil

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Found 2 Queen ants on my bathroom today (13 of December of 2018), strangely it hasnt been raining here on Búzios but they showed anyway. I captured both but i don´t know if they mated yet, as they still have their wings and one of them even tried to fly away from me. im going to keep a closer look and if they don´t lay any eggs in the following days then i will release them.

Just a reminder that this is the first time i ever tried to keep ants so i don´t know much about the ant world but i have watched some videos from AntsCanada and i think i can at least keep them alive for some weeks :P

Also i have no idea what species they are.

StrawSamurai

Re: Queen ants in Armação dos Búzios/Rio de Janeiro/Brasil

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Little edit here: I actually found a third one! and this third one im pretty sure is a Trap-jaw queen! A Odontomachus! this is so awesome!
But i don´t know if she mated yet, as she still has her wings but i will do the same as the other ones and will be keeping an eye on her!
Sadly i don´t have any test tubes and things like that but i am using two jars and i have put some wet cotton on them, i think they will live!

antnest8

Re: Queen ants in Armação dos Búzios/Rio de Janeiro/Brasil

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:47 pm

with no large formicarium or none at all you can keep most ant colonies for at least a year.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum