Athens Texas .. Queen hunting.

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

GreenMan

Athens Texas .. Queen hunting.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:37 am

been looking have seen nothing, we get alot of fire ants here, but i hate them lol, and alot of leaf cutter ants, I've never seen any others, yet there are tons of different ants in my area. guess im missing something. Do all flights happen after a rain?

idahoantgirl

Re: Athens Texas .. Queen hunting.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:39 am

GreenMan wrote:been looking have seen nothing, we get alot of fire ants here, but i hate them lol, and alot of leaf cutter ants, I've never seen any others, yet there are tons of different ants in my area. guess im missing something. Do all flights happen after a rain?
no they don't. they often fly right after a rain but don't always.
here is one of mikeys videos on tips for queen hunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfaK8TvM0qA
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

larynx

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:45 am

doesnt have to be rain, just high humidity and heat usually cue flights, from what ive seen. my theory is that the alates need to have softer, less brittle wings to fly without breaking them. but they also need them to be able to dry when done flying. so high humidity and high temp make sense for that, IMO.
also after a rain the ground is softer and hydrated, so it is easier to dig a founding chamber and have water for survival, and founding. this is what i have gathered from my ant hunting.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:24 pm

I have figured with at least Solenopsis (Fire ants) they flay after a rain because it softens the ground up allowing the queen a much easier time digging her founding chamber.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: