HELP!!

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

djmadmax8

HELP!!

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:12 pm

I live in Phoenix Arizona. I keep looking for ants every day now but still can’t find any. I was hoping because it is so hot in Arizona the nuptial flights change. I am gone during the summer so that is not a possibility and it is a long time from now. I read somewhere that like September, October, February, March, etc. are the times that you should look. If someone could help me figure this out I will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

StormDancer

Re: HELP!!

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:59 am

The heat will have less to do with it in my opinion. I'm from South Eastern New Mexico. I have noticed that the ants will stay below ground during the hottest part of the day but are easily found out in the mornings and evenings. Also, they tend to burrow fast. Lots of desert ants are easy snacks for animals so you might get yourself a shovel and do some googling on how to ID fresh queen ant burrows. Here, nuptial flights are mostly done, though I can see some straggler burrows today after it rained yesterday. Days after a rain are perfect times to look.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

AntsDakota

Re: HELP!!

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:36 pm

djmadmax8 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:12 pm
I live in Phoenix Arizona. I keep looking for ants every day now but still can’t find any. I was hoping because it is so hot in Arizona the nuptial flights change. I am gone during the summer so that is not a possibility and it is a long time from now. I read somewhere that like September, October, February, March, etc. are the times that you should look. If someone could help me figure this out I will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Most desert queens fly right after a big rain storm. I doubt you guys in Arizona would miss something like that.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25