Arizona Nuptial Flight Help

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

djmadmax8

Arizona Nuptial Flight Help

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:11 am

Hello, my name is Max and I live in Phoenix Arizona. This is my first year ant keeping and I am very excited to see my colony grow. I only have 3 queens so far but I am worried because only one of them has laid eggs. I was wondering if someone can help me and tell me what species fly and in what months and when the best time to catch a queen would be. If it helps it hasn't rained in a week or so and I live right next to a tiny "desert" and it reaches around 95-110 in the afternoon :( and it is noticeable dry. If you could be kind enough to help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Max

AntsDakota

Re: Arizona Nuptial Flight Help

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Well, leafcutter ants from the genus Acromyrmex fly in August to November, Atta fly in May, Dorymyrmex can fly all year, but mostly fly in March. Odontomachus (Trap Jaw ants) fly from June to August. Pheidole fly from May to September. Pogonomyrmex (Harvester ants) fly from May to July. Myrmecosystus (Honey pot ants) fly in July and August.

By the way, I got this info on Formiculture.com from dpsdrew's Queen Spotting and Mating Chart. It's pretty helpful, as you can see.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25