Odontomachus Clarus flights/locations

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

DakstoneF

Odontomachus Clarus flights/locations

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Hey all,

Odontomachus clarus is my dream species for a vivarium set up - but after years of no luck finding a seller in Texas and equally no luck catching them during their nuptial flights I believe it's finally time to turn to a forum of dedicated ant lovers.

I've found colonies in Galveston/Austin but even after staying in Austin for nearly two months during their "season" I was unable to find any queens or even queens-to-be - and I don't really want to uproot an existing wild colony and risk stressing them out.

I was wondering if any Texas/surrounding states ant enthusiasts have had any luck finding Queens or sellers of this species? I'm getting ready to travel back to Austin in early September as that is the tail end "burst" of their nuptial flight seasons.

AntsDakota

Re: Odontomachus Clarus flights/locations

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:25 pm

DakstoneF wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:09 pm
and I don't really want to uproot an existing wild colony and risk stressing them out.
I wouldn't want to risk getting bit and stung either. :shock:
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25