ARK-LA-TN-MS-AL-GA-SC-NC nuptial flights

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Nylanderiavividula

Re: ARK-LA-TN-MS-AL-GA-SC-NC nuptial flights

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Interested to keep this going!! I was in Johnston, Sc. today at a customer’s house (I work in pest control) because she thought she had termites in her bathtub. It turned out to be Camponotus alates of some sort. Predominantly red/orange with black gasters. Three-size polymorphic worker caste. Male alates all black. Female alates red/orange with black gasters.

Apm491

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Well as most of you should know we just had a week long rain storm. I went out for the first time evee today to find some queens of the Winter Ant species or any for that mater and didn't find anything. Idk if im to late or what but I may look tonight when it gets dark but id love some help :D
Im in NW GA btw

JadamJedi

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:00 am

Back aim Georgia here too, NE suburbs, Lawrenceville, I have seen increasing ant activity and I even found this orangish tomato red Queen Carpenter ant, she had literally just landed and not even taken her wings off yet.

Anyone know what carpenter ants are that color?

Keep anting

Nylanderiavividula

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:42 pm

A number carpenter ant queens can be orange. But I think the more common orange Camponotus queens in Georgia are the C. castaneus! I have a colony of these and like them quite a bit.

Edit: Here in Georgia, we also have a large number of Formica genus queens that can be orange, as well. Those girls can be quite large, too.

phoenixmastm

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:40 am

Hey All, Greenville/Fountain Inn SC area here.

I've noticed the Solenopsis colonies at my office have gotten active (none in my backyard, I will not tolerate invaders). Rained today, was hoping to find Camponotus in my back yard as I have a colony in on of my older trees. Still nothing yet but I'd like to hear if anyone has had any success near me for queens?

I also have a pair of Crematogaster colonies at the house, they've started getting active but I've noticed that they are VERY sluggish right now. Possibly due to the fact that it has only been in the low 70's for this week. I know they're more fall/early winter nuptials, but has anyone ever heard of them doing springtime by chance?

Again, I'd like to know if anyone else is in the area looking. I'd love to find spots to get queens besides getting lucky and catching the flights at home.

DevanLindsey

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 pm

Would love to see this post keep going. I just began looking for Winter Ants in Denham Springs, LA but it’s still too early apparently.

Varanid

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:50 pm

North Central Alabama, C. pennsylvanicus were out today, and yesterday. Was not looking for them, my daughter spotted a large black ant and asked me if it was a queen. Sure enough it was, test tubed her up going to try raising these again. For some reason I have good luck raising them to 10 or 12 nanitics, then when I introduce them to an out world they slowly die off.

Sorry off subject, today I was planting some bushes in my yard and had a queen climb up my arm. Same type, C pennsylvanicus, so now I have 2.

Tonight will likely be good time for a flight as well, if it is not raining and not stormy. Have had quite a bit of luck in the past in a parking lot under street light. On a good night will catch 10 - 15.