Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

thescienceguy1980

Re: Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:36 am

nightxwolf88 wrote:Now does this night anting for our areas just effective for camponotus pretty much? Honestly camponutus queens I haven't had trouble catching at all even 230 in the afternoon its just finding some other queens like maybe tetramorium or lasius that I cant seem to do haha
oh and Tetramorium we aint got in the northern US. Check out www.antmaps.org

nightxwolf88

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Oh well that's a shame but thanks for the link that map is a help

nightxwolf88

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Oh wait what about tetramorium caespitum def read articles bout them in new york

AntsRule

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:14 pm

thescienceguy1980 wrote:
nightxwolf88 wrote:Now does this night anting for our areas just effective for camponotus pretty much? Honestly camponutus queens I haven't had trouble catching at all even 230 in the afternoon its just finding some other queens like maybe tetramorium or lasius that I cant seem to do haha
oh and Tetramorium we aint got in the northern US. Check out www.antmaps.org
nightxwolf88 wrote:Oh well that's a shame but thanks for the link that map is a help
If you want a really cool species pheidole's are amazing. I think another more common name is "big headed ant" They have GIANT majors! Lucky for us, we have some! I think they fly June-July, I hope we all catch some! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

nightxwolf88

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:26 pm

[/quote]If you want a really cool species pheidole's are amazing. I think another more common name is "big headed ant" They have GIANT majors! Lucky for us, we have some! I think they fly June-July, I hope we all catch some! :D[/quote]

I forget that there is plenty of time for flights to still occur as you can tell its my first year and IM very excited haha. I have seen some ants that looked like others around but have larger heads in comparison to body size in my yard maybe its a pheidole colony!

AntsRule

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:30 pm

Hopefully! I am pretty new too anting myself, I got into the hobby last fall of coarse right after the end of flights so I have been waiting ALLLLLL winter for flights! Finally They are here! It is still very much the start of the anting season. How many queens do you have so far? Good luck! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

nightxwolf88

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:43 pm

AntsRule wrote:Hopefully! I am pretty new too anting myself, I got into the hobby last fall of coarse right after the end of flights so I have been waiting ALLLLLL winter for flights! Finally They are here! It is still very much the start of the anting season. How many queens do you have so far? Good luck! :D
I would have lost my mind waiting that long! The first week in may thanks to Mikey Bustos on the AntsCanada channel I remembered "oh ya ants are awesome" so I started researching. The last week of may I was walking home from work and instead of just the hoards of camponotus workers I always see for the first time I saw winged and not queens! Like one per sidewalk block luckily I had a few empty 2 oz. Snap top containers and got 7 camponutus I believe 2 novaeborensis, but just a guess, and that one depilis I found with a colony that's it. I want more! Haha

AntsRule

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:51 pm

O trust me I lost it :lol: Looks like you are infected with the anting bug :lol: (I have it too) :D Congrats on the queens!

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

nightxwolf88

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Yes def infected its all just so fascinating :geek: Its been so hard not checking my camponotus but I've been a good boy and check up is on the 14th

AntsRule

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:05 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:Yes def infected its all just so fascinating :geek: Its been so hard not checking my camponotus but I've been a good boy and check up is on the 14th
Good for you! You should start a journal! I would love to see how your colones grow! I just caught another Camponotus Subbarbatus by hacking open some rotten logs with a hatchet. I highly suggest you do that! Only thing is they will most likely have eggs and if you can not collect the eggs you need to give them a bit of honey. So they can lay some more :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.