Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

nightxwolf88

Re: Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:47 pm

Still nothing for me here idk if its because the camponotus concentration near me or what haha. I know I see other ants around but when I walk the sidewalks just see camponotus workers eveywhere

nightxwolf88

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:01 am

Finally found a couple of what I suspect are tetramorium in my pool but both are dead. I really want a couple tetra queens bad haha I dont wanna miss out on their flights

AntsRule

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:23 am

I have more than I know what to do with, do not worry you will get them :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

nightxwolf88

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:33 am

Ya went back outside just quick and one disappeared the other alive and walking so scooped her up yay! ImageImage about 6-7mm

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Ok it just rained would this afternoon be better or tomorrow sometime I don't got much time to look so I want to get out at the best time

nightxwolf88

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Newbie wrote:Ok it just rained would this afternoon be better or tomorrow sometime I don't got much time to look so I want to get out at the best time
Tough to say, tetramorium usually found earlier in the day but you will still find some in the evening. So all depends different species have different times of day they prefer. I have read that pheidole tends to fly only up to half an hour after a rain during the day time. I'm not very experience and any i have gained so far taught me to take any chance I get cause you never know when you will come across 5 tetramorium on the walk home from work or whatever :)

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Ok thanks where do you usually have luck finding them parking lots or just sidewalks

nightxwolf88

Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Sidewalks a lot it is easy to spot them and the ants in my neiborhood are active in certain spots so i pay more attention at them. If I usually see tetramorium workers in an area and then one day there is something out of place its usually a queen. My driveway sometimes produces a wandering queen. And thanks to antsrule he said check your pool and i have found some that way if they are motionless leave them to dry in the sun a bit they will be alive most likely.

nightxwolf88

Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Oh and flip stones and logs in your yard that's always good too

thescienceguy1980

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:43 pm

Hey AntsRule, I have two queens with some Nanitics!!! Do you have any so far? Don't know exact species but I caught them 5/12 and now they both have 3-5+ workers : ) tiny yellowish ants!!! Wooooo!