Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

Re: Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 pm

thescienceguy1980 wrote:
nightxwolf88 wrote:Now does this night anting for our areas just effective for camponotus pretty much? Honestly camponutus queens I haven't had trouble catching at all even 230 in the afternoon its just finding some other queens like maybe tetramorium or lasius that I cant seem to do haha
oh and Tetramorium we aint got in the northern US. Check out www.antmaps.org
oh, and we DO have Tetromorium sp. in the U.S. you should reference more than one source before committing to an answer. you have to remember some people reference this site, which means they read what you write here. we have to be more responsible with the info we are spreading, guys. :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:43 pm

if you read the about page on "ANTMAPS", it tells you to use the site in conjunction with other sites like, "ANTWEB" and "ANTWIKI". the site is also a work in progress to get all ant info on there. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

nightxwolf88

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:51 pm

AntsRule wrote:
nightxwolf88 wrote:Yes def infected its all just so fascinating :geek: Its been so hard not checking my camponotus but I've been a good boy and check up is on the 14th
Good for you! You should start a journal! I would love to see how your colones grow! I just caught another Camponotus Subbarbatus by hacking open some rotten logs with a hatchet. I highly suggest you do that! Only thing is they will most likely have eggs and if you can not collect the eggs you need to give them a bit of honey. So they can lay some more :D
Keeping a journal is a good idea I love seeing how other ppls colonies are doing and what they are learning from them. Thank you for the queen tips as well AntsRule :)
larynx wrote:if you read the about page on "ANTMAPS", it tells you to use the site in conjunction with other sites like, "ANTWEB" and "ANTWIKI". the site is also a work in progress to get all ant info on there. :D
Def have learned to cross reference many sources, Good to see sites working on gathering and sharing the info about ants

AntsRule

Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:33 pm

Any time nightxwolf88! :D
Larynx I will cross check my facts next time :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Antics

Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:00 pm

How about that weather today? When should we go out? Tomorrow? Today?
First time ant keeper in Philadelphia, PA! Would love to get together and trade info about ant keeping if you're around!

AntsRule

Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:19 pm

Today does not look too good. Tomorrow maybe but Sunday looks great! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

nightxwolf88

Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:37 pm

AntsRule wrote:Today does not look too good. Tomorrow maybe but Sunday looks great! :D
Was gonna say myself its a bit cool these next two days but Sunday I'm bringing extra containers for the walk home after work :D

AntsRule

Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:56 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:
AntsRule wrote:Today does not look too good. Tomorrow maybe but Sunday looks great! :D
Was gonna say myself its a bit cool these next two days but Sunday I'm bringing extra containers for the walk home after work :D
I always carry a minimum of 4 of my trusty containers dew-doo-deiw :geek: :lol: Good luck

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

nightxwolf88

Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:35 pm

AntsRule wrote:
nightxwolf88 wrote:
I always carry a minimum of 4 of my trusty containers dew-doo-deiw :geek: :lol: Good luck
Absolutely I keep a few in my bag I always have on but take many on potentially good days dont wanna run out like I did the camponotus flight :?

MCWren

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Not sure if this counts... Long Island, New York: I caught a Tetramorium sp.E queen 2 days ago.