Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

thescienceguy1980

Re: Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Nothing after I declined grabbing some out of the nest. I'm def getting out the black light tonight darn i was upset I couldn't find any. Well I did see what I thought was a queen but they are camponotus and they are reddish brown with a dark gaster congrats on finding one. What genus?

thescienceguy1980

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:14 pm

I mean what genus did u catch?
Did u ever see the reddish carpenters?

nightxwolf88

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Nothing for me today... Going out at night? Much luck with that? I haven't heard of trying that

AntsRule

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:59 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:Nothing for me today... Going out at night? Much luck with that? I haven't heard of trying that
thescienceguy1980 wrote:I mean what genus did u catch?
Thanks! I caught 6 camponotus chromaiodes quho
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

AntsRule

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:03 pm

thescienceguy1980 wrote:I mean what genus did u catch?
nightxwolf88 wrote:Nothing for me today... Going out at night? Much luck with that? I haven't heard of trying that
Whoops I meant to say that I caught 6 camponotus chromaiodes queens at night a few weeks ago. They are sort of redish and their workers are too. Some camp.s only fly at night. Black lights attract them. Thanks! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

nightxwolf88

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Hmmmmm I have seen and i caught a few camponotus with a red thorax I was thinking they were novaeborensis

nightxwolf88

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:20 pm

Although I have seen some camponotus workers today that looked to be mostly red just a black abdomen

thescienceguy1980

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:41 am

The theory is good, I've heard of luck doing it but haven't had any with queens at night. Supposedly Camponotus fly and mate around 2-4am so catching them then if you can find them sounds plausible, just harder to see them. You can employ a method of using a UV Black Light anda white sheet with the light shining on it (or above from under it) and attract many bugs including ants. I try pretty often but mostly find male ants, moths, beetles, etc. Sometimes I have three or more male alates that found the light and white sheet but no queens came. I'm guessing if I camped out at night and constantly watched for them it would be easier but I usually set it up for an hour or two and then go to bed.

nightxwolf88

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:14 am

Now does this night anting for our areas just effective for camponotus pretty much? Honestly camponutus queens I haven't had trouble catching at all even 230 in the afternoon its just finding some other queens like maybe tetramorium or lasius that I cant seem to do haha

thescienceguy1980

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 am

nightxwolf88 wrote:Now does this night anting for our areas just effective for camponotus pretty much? Honestly camponutus queens I haven't had trouble catching at all even 230 in the afternoon its just finding some other queens like maybe tetramorium or lasius that I cant seem to do haha
Not sure to be honest I'm new at this. I found most of my lasius in the mulch (where I didn't expect to find any ants)