Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

MCWren

Re: Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:49 pm

A somewhat unrelated question: do we have the same ants in New York as you do in Pennsylvania? I'm going to sleep away camp in the poconos for 3 weeks starting June 26, and there are a ton of woods there, since it's the middle of nowhere. I'm hoping to catch a bunch of queens at camp, but I don't want to bring any invasive species back to Long Island. Will this be a problem? Also, if I get too many queens, I might sell them with the GAN project.

P.S.
Don't rob me when I'm gone, my parents and vicious man-eating goldendoodle will still be home. :P

AntsRule

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:13 pm

MCWren wrote:A somewhat unrelated question: do we have the same ants in New York as you do in Pennsylvania? I'm going to sleep away camp in the poconos for 3 weeks starting June 26, and there are a ton of woods there, since it's the middle of nowhere. I'm hoping to catch a bunch of queens at camp, but I don't want to bring any invasive species back to Long Island. Will this be a problem? Also, if I get too many queens, I might sell them with the GAN project.

P.S.
Don't rob me when I'm gone, my parents and vicious man-eating goldendoodle will still be home. :P
It is illegal to transport queens over state lines in the U.S, so I would not do it. Just to answer your question. The two states practically have the same climate. So there should basically be the same sp. but not completely. Once again it is illegal to transport queens over state lines in the U.S, sorry to shot down your idea. :)
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

AntsRule

Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:28 am

I have strangely not seen a major flight in a few weeks :o Wonder what is going on. :? Has anyone in or near PA noticed this? :)

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

nightxwolf88

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:28 am

AntsRule wrote:I have strangely not seen a major flight in a few weeks :o Wonder what is going on. :? Has anyone in or near PA noticed this? :)
Same have seen a thing since the camponotus flew

AntsRule

Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:28 pm

I was weeding disturbed a colony of small black ants( not sure the sp.) This colony had a fair amount of queens. The queens still had wings so they have not flown yet. So keep your eyes out because looks like some sp. have some queens ready to fly! Too dry today though. :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

Antics

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:18 am

AntsRule wrote:I was weeding disturbed a colony of small black ants( not sure the sp.) This colony had a fair amount of queens. The queens still had wings so they have not flown yet. So keep your eyes out because looks like some sp. have some queens ready to fly! Too dry today though. :D
Well, here we are at Sunday, I'm guessing the ant turnout will be very low today because it didn't rain yesterday?
First time ant keeper in Philadelphia, PA! Would love to get together and trade info about ant keeping if you're around!

AntsRule

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:36 am

yep looks dry all week :(

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

AntsRule

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:20 pm

thescienceguy1980 wrote:
nightxwolf88 wrote:Now does this night anting for our areas just effective for camponotus pretty much? Honestly camponutus queens I haven't had trouble catching at all even 230 in the afternoon its just finding some other queens like maybe tetramorium or lasius that I cant seem to do haha
oh and Tetramorium we aint got in the northern US. Check out www.antmaps.org
Saturday looks good for flights! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:29 am

Ok guy I'm really new,to this but I'm having a really hard time finding a queen . Is anyone near Schuylkill county pa

AntsRule

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Newbie wrote:Ok guy I'm really new,to this but I'm having a really hard time finding a queen . Is anyone near Schuylkill county pa
Tetramorium sp. E are super abundant this time of year. I can catch 30 a day in 5 minutes time because they get trapped in my pool. I highly suggest checking pools and bodies of water. They fly early morning around 5:00 AM. I am in Chester County (north eastern PA) :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.