Myrmica Rubra colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

asgarpet

Myrmica Rubra colony

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi guys !

I had this colony since september 2015 and I would like to share you some pics and some details of their life.

So like i said i hab this colony from a firnd of me in september 2015. They passed the winter in my fridge for hibernation. I woke upp them 3 weeks ago now. I was wondering a bit after this long period of fresh temparature.

But they are doing very well now. The queens starts directly to lay eggs.

I feed them some mealworms for protein and some water sugar. I tired protein jelly but they don't seems to like it much. What kind of other source of sugar can i feed them ?

Here a re somes pics :

I'm just a bit owrried of these two larvas at the top of the picture (they don't seem to evolve, they passed hibernation):

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Myrmica Rubra colony

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Great little colony! You could try a bit of honey on a piece of aluminum foil as another source of sugar.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

asgarpet

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:26 am

Great little colony! You could try a bit of honey on a piece of aluminum foil as another source of sugar.
I tried honey water. My ants don't seem to like it... What type of honey should i use ?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:32 am

asgarpet wrote:I tried honey water. My ants don't seem to like it... What type of honey should i use ?
I just use honey purchased from the grocery store, regular ole honey from honey bees. I get a bit on the end of a toothpick and let it ooze onto a piece of foil.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

asgarpet

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:24 pm

I just use honey purchased from the grocery store, regular ole honey from honey bees. I get a bit on the end of a toothpick and let it ooze onto a piece of foil.
Ok thank's ooper01 i will try this !