Hopes and dreams riding on a single Crematogaster Queen

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Re: Hopes and dreams riding on a single Crematogaster Queen

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:30 pm

I have that same dream, except for C. lineolata or cerasi. Amd yes, I'm almost 100% sure she's Crematogaster laeviuscula.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Spacepup

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:27 am

Some more pictures, two from a week or so ago, and one from the last couple days.

In that last one you can get see a pretty good look at larva, in what is probably the stage right before pupa, if I can guess it's size based on the size of the queen.

And thank you AntsDakota, I think you are 100% on laeviscula, the images on Google I could find look almost exactly alike.

antsRlife

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:30 pm

i got into ant keeping the same sort of way. i had an anonychromyrma queen land on my knee, at the time i didn't know until it bit me :shock: i grabed it by the wings and threw it(metaphorically speeking) into a test tube and i had a great colony until they died a few weeks ago :cry:
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)

Spacepup

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:45 pm

Sorry to hear that, AntsRlife!

Well, it's been a couple of weeks, and I've got some good update photos!

Her first nanitics eclosed(I don't know if that's the right term for ants without pupae) while I was away for the weekend, so I've got a couple pics after a few more became active. It's been about one new worker every two days or so now.

I've also started to feed them, once I got home and noticed she had 2 mobile workers. Just a tiny amount of honey, but it was always gone by the end of the next day, even when I gave them a slightly larger dollip of honey, there wasn't even any residue when I checked back later. I'm not sure how they fit it all in their bellies.

As of just yesterday Queen Cream has five workers now, with another one that was waving it's antennae, and I noticed that one or two of the workers always seem to be hanging out near the cotton plug. I have read that that's a sign they might be getting ready to go out to forage, so when I was feeding our cat, I decided to add just the tiniest drop of wet food I could as well as the usual honey.Image
They seemed to approve, and 3 were crowded around feeding from it when I put them back in their dark place.

Even Queen Cream walked over, tapped both piles with her antennae, and then went back to her brood pile.

antnest8

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:04 pm

WOW!! congratulations. REALLY! Crematogaster is known a a harder species to keep and found.
also how long did it take to go from egg to worker?
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Spacepup

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:51 am

Almost exactly 2 months to go from capture to first nanitics. I caught her on the 26th of june, got her out of the tupperware and into a test tube on the 28th, and she had started laying eggs by the next day. Then, August 21st was when I first noticed that two workers had eclosed. Up to six now, as well.

You could probably get faster workers with a better setup, she's being kept indoors in an air-conditioned location. She's on the far side of the apartment from the thermostat, near my computer, which probably gets her a little warmer than the rest of the apartment, but still cooler than the Oklahoma summer that I found her in.

And yeah, me and my wife has been joking that Queen Cream is just about the chillest possible ant. I've definitely been too enthusiastic about checking on her; pulling her out of the dark more than the every 2 weeks I saw recommended for most Crematogaster sp. Maybe the laeviuscula is more easy-going then average for its Genus?

AntsDakota

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:02 pm

From what I hear Crematogaster laevascula is a small species of Crematogaster. I've also heard that your average Crematogaster species takes 3 months to develop. These species are larger than laevascula, so they take longer.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Puncarlol

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Crematogaster is the first type of ant I've ever had and I love the fact that they have a heart shaped gaster that they wiggle to communicate stuff to others in the colony.
Crematogaster Ampla x2
Ectatomma Ruidom
Pheidole Reclusi
Dorymyrmex Insanus
Odontomachus Erythrocephalus

All in founding stage ;)

antnest8

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:02 pm

These queens must love to be captured because one just walked up to me :)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum