The start of Angelique's Colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: The start of Angelique's Colony

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:59 pm
MadVampy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:30 pm
They accepted her and she is continuing off where Angelique left off.
Never knew Fire ants accepted other queens. When I had Fire Ants (Four queen colony) the killed 3 of the queens and left only one. Must have introduced the at the wrong time.
Many "polygynous species" have both monogynous and polygynous queen lineages. Polygyne colonies do better in areas of high, same-species population density, while monogynous queens do better in less-dense ranges. Polygynous strains will kill monogynous strain queens, but accept other polygynous queens. Monogynous queens are intolerant of other queens for obvious reasons.

Monogynous queens have better odds of spreading their own genes successfully, but have somewhat more trouble when they must compete with other colonies of the same species.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

justb06

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 pm

I currently have eight fire ant queens living together. They all seemed to get along.
Beginner ant keeper Currently has a RIFA (Red Imported Fire Ant) colony. I now have a Carpenter Ant queen.

NoviceAntKeeper

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:41 am

Eight? Dang, I have five living together. Hopefully, they don’t fight once workers arrive. I have two spare test tubes, but I’m hoping to see if I can catch any more queens this year.