Jadeninja9’s Prenolepis imparis Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Jadeninja9’s Prenolepis imparis Journal

Post: # 33855Post Jadeninja9
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:35 am

In addition to my Camponotus hyatti journal, I’m going to start a journal on my new Prenolepis imparis queens and their future colony together.

Okay so first off, I caught the the first queen on Feb 1st, at 3:14 pm while exiting my school with one of my friends. Another friend had given me a test tube at lunch so when I saw the queen on the ground I took out my test tube, which already had an aphaenogaster male alate inside of it, and put the queen in there. I wanted to see how they’d react, but they really didn’t mind each other. I thought the queen was Lasius sp. at the time. Literally that night I had a dream that I found a Prenolepis imparis queen because I’d been thinking about them so much. Then the next day, on Feb 2 at 3:48 pm, as I was talking to people in an Instagram ant group chat about how I can never find any Prenolepis imparis queens, I saw a Prenolepis queen mating with a male right beneath my feet as I was approaching my doorstep. I immediately put the queen and male in a test tube. Yesterday I just got confirmation that the two queens are infact Prenolepis imparis.
Here is a picture of the first queen:
Image

And here’s the second queen:
Image

Last night before I went to bed, at around 8pm I taped the queens’ test tubes together so they would form a two queen colony. I woke up at 7am this morning and found them huddled up together:
Image

Its cool how these queens still haven’t dropped their wings. It just goes to show that the method of looking to see if a queen has lost her wings will tell you if a queen is fertile or not, is false.

That wraps up the first entry of my journal, and I’ll update it more when something happens.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
7x Lasius alienus colonies

Founding:
1x Prenolepis imparis queen
1x Tetramorium immigrans
1x Camponotus cf. clarithorax

User avatar
antnest8
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Jadeninja9’s Prenolepis imparis Journal

Post: # 33860Post antnest8
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:32 pm

loved your other journal and am hoping to like this one too
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Jadeninja9’s Prenolepis imparis Journal

Post: # 33862Post Jadeninja9
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:25 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:32 pm
loved your other journal and am hoping to like this one too
Thanks
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
7x Lasius alienus colonies

Founding:
1x Prenolepis imparis queen
1x Tetramorium immigrans
1x Camponotus cf. clarithorax

Hitch3
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:36 am
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: Jadeninja9’s Prenolepis imparis Journal

Post: # 35499Post Hitch3
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 am

Update?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvjcyJWitRSztq51HziS0Dg

Keeping:
2x Iridomyrmex Bicknelli
2 x Nylanderia sp
Camponotus Consobrinus
Pheidole sp
Rhytidoponera metallica

Founding:
Pheidole sp
2x Cremogaster
12x Iridomyrmex Bicknelli
Polyarhis sp

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Jadeninja9’s Prenolepis imparis Journal

Post: # 35532Post Jadeninja9
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:54 pm

Hitch3 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 am
Update?
On March 26 I had checked on this colony to find that one queen had died and the cotton was very moldy. I had to move the queen that was alive into a new tube and I put her in a wine cooler set to 60F. The cold temperature triggered her to break off her wings. As of now I don't know if she has eggs yet but her gaster is swollen which is a very good sign.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
7x Lasius alienus colonies

Founding:
1x Prenolepis imparis queen
1x Tetramorium immigrans
1x Camponotus cf. clarithorax

averagebilly
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:10 am
Location: Canada

Re: Jadeninja9’s Prenolepis imparis Journal

Post: # 35540Post averagebilly
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:54 pm
Hitch3 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 am
Update?
On March 26 I had checked on this colony to find that one queen had died and the cotton was very moldy. I had to move the queen that was alive into a new tube and I put her in a wine cooler set to 60F. The cold temperature triggered her to break off her wings. As of now I don't know if she has eggs yet but her gaster is swollen which is a very good sign.
You shouldn't put two queens together unless they have a way to get away from each other, even if the species is known to have multi-queen colonies. I suspect that the survivor killed the other one. If you try something like this again, give them an out world, or something similar, so that, instead of killing the other queen, she just chases her out of the cholesterol chamber.
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

User avatar
antnest8
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Jadeninja9’s Prenolepis imparis Journal

Post: # 35553Post antnest8
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:22 pm

i put 3 queens together of this species two later found to be infertile and they were OK for a week and even huddled together
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Jadeninja9’s Prenolepis imparis Journal

Post: # 35626Post Jadeninja9
Fri May 04, 2018 1:14 am

averagebilly wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 pm
Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:54 pm
Hitch3 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 am
Update?
On March 26 I had checked on this colony to find that one queen had died and the cotton was very moldy. I had to move the queen that was alive into a new tube and I put her in a wine cooler set to 60F. The cold temperature triggered her to break off her wings. As of now I don't know if she has eggs yet but her gaster is swollen which is a very good sign.
You shouldn't put two queens together unless they have a way to get away from each other, even if the species is known to have multi-queen colonies. I suspect that the survivor killed the other one. If you try something like this again, give them an out world, or something similar, so that, instead of killing the other queen, she just chases her out of the cholesterol chamber.
I doubt it. The queen looked like she was infertile anyway. There were no signs of an attack.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
7x Lasius alienus colonies

Founding:
1x Prenolepis imparis queen
1x Tetramorium immigrans
1x Camponotus cf. clarithorax

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests