Lasius Niger

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: Lasius Niger

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:59 pm

I envy all of you Lasius niger owners. I've always wanted a colony but they were never native to the places I've lived. I've always said, there is nothing more impressive, no matter how seemingly common or ordinary, than a huge and active Lasius niger colony.
Ant Love Forever.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Ironic, I have for sure 4 that are in tubes and have eggs. I know I'll be keeping at least one to replace the colony that was destroyed. I might go thru GAN on the other 3 for those in the state of Alabama.

18 days in the tubes and I'm hoping for the first offspring soon. :D
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:21 am

NikolaMladenovic wrote:Big news for L.N and som minor news for Lucia.

So i saw L.N,s testtube get moldy so i conected one more testtube to her and she moved the day after so she now has a clean testtube. And her first worker arrived today!! Its barely moving but it's newly hatched. And i wonder why she hasn't dropped her wings yet

And Lucia,s news is that they took the fruitfly and dumped it on the larvae and they ate it!! I'm also expecting two new workers to arrive soon.

Nikola.M
Awesome! Congrats on all the success. Yes, some queens for unknown reasons decide to keep their wings throughout their lives. I like to think it's good luck.
Ant Love Forever.

NikolaMladenovic

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:46 am

Hi, guys! Sorry for not being active but my account got erased by the spam folder so yeah... But i made a new account (this one :D) and i still have the same name so you will reccon me. So let's get to the update of my Queens L.N and Lucia

L.N: Tried to move her into the hybridnest small but she didn't want to. She is now up at 11 workers. No major yet.

Lucia: Trying to move her in to the hybridnest now. She is up at 12 workers and a heck of brood. No major yet.

So i went to a reptile store and bought a can of dried crickets and a heating mat with 5 wat. But everytime i heat my ants (with a piece of paper on top of it so it dosen't get to hot for them) and they like it but the water always veporise into thier side of the testtube and i don't think that's is good for them. So if you guys can help me with some tips that whould have been great, thanks!

N.M
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol:

NikolaMladenovic

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:48 pm

Anyone?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:55 pm

NikolaMladenovic wrote:Anyone?
The same thing happens with my hybrid nest, I know if they don't like it they will move (mine moved into the out world for a few days until the humidity went down), best thing is don't put the test tubes right over the heat source. Put some distance between them and it. They only need a little of the radiated heat.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

NikolaMladenovic

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:08 am

MadVampy wrote:
NikolaMladenovic wrote:Anyone?
The same thing happens with my hybrid nest, I know if they don't like it they will move (mine moved into the out world for a few days until the humidity went down), best thing is don't put the test tubes right over the heat source. Put some distance between them and it. They only need a little of the radiated heat.
Ok thanks vampy! :D

NikolaMladenovic

Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Hello guys! Things have gone really good and really bad. I will start with the bad ones :cry:
Lucia had 14 workers when i tried to unplugg her from the hybridnest since they never moved out of thier testtube. But it was pretty late and i was tired so when i tred to unplugg her i pulled it to hard so when it dispatched thier flew everywhere on my desk. And i freaked out because i have never had a escape before so my dad heared me freak out and went in to help me. Whe managed to capture all the brood, Lucia and 9-10 workers :cry:
The colony is still doing good anyways.

And now the good news:
I have been feeding L.N and her daughters more honey than what she and Lucia gets because her colony never stops eating (almost :D ). So her colony is now at 21 workers and alot of brood. When hybernation ends i will try to move them into the hybridnest. But they that will be hard when they dont fully go into hybernation. I still find her and her colony pretty active . Any tips on how to get them into hybernation would have been great :mrgreen:

Nikola.M

jonathan21700

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Do you keep them in a cold place?

GriffinAnt

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:12 am

my lasius niger queen and her one worker are in hybernation in my fridge at 5 deg. been in there 2 and half mths and she is a ok.