Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

JustinCredible
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Post: # 34910Post JustinCredible
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:39 am

Awesome! thank you.

I will be updating every time something happens or if I need help/advice.
I see you have 2 queens of the same species. Any tips etc?

User avatar
antnest8
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Post: # 34928Post antnest8
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:33 pm

can't wait until they can move into the giant terrarium
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony
!!And A CREMATOGASTER QUEEN!!

Hitch3
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:36 am
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Post: # 34933Post Hitch3
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:58 pm

JustinCredible wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:39 am
Awesome! thank you.

I will be updating every time something happens or if I need help/advice.
I see you have 2 queens of the same species. Any tips etc?
Well, they are pretty easy to care for, they grow fast, and are a very common species in Australia.

At this stage, I would feed them with a cricket leg and a cotton ball soaked in honey, although I feed one of my (2 workers) colony straight honey and they never seem to drown like pheidole and other smaller species.

They should be kept in the test tube unti they start to fill it up. However, I moved a twenty Worker colony into an ants Australia size 1 formacarium, and they are thriving, despite the nest being triple their nesting space needed. They are not *hugely* affected by large nests.

Also, Iridomyrmex Bicknelli prefer are dryer nest than usual.

That’s about it. Oh, and if you got a good queen, you may easily have 800+ workers in six months, :shock: but that is at optimal temperature and humidity.

Cheers!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvjcyJWitRSztq51HziS0Dg

Keeping:
2x Iridomyrmex Bicknelli
2 x Nylanderia sp
Camponotus Consobrinus
Pheidole sp
Rhytidoponera metallica

Founding:
Pheidole sp
2x Cremogaster
12x Iridomyrmex Bicknelli
Polyarhis sp

JustinCredible
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Post: # 36431Post JustinCredible
Mon May 28, 2018 7:14 am

Hitch3 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:58 pm
JustinCredible wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:39 am
Awesome! thank you.

I will be updating every time something happens or if I need help/advice.
I see you have 2 queens of the same species. Any tips etc?
Well, they are pretty easy to care for, they grow fast, and are a very common species in Australia.

At this stage, I would feed them with a cricket leg and a cotton ball soaked in honey, although I feed one of my (2 workers) colony straight honey and they never seem to drown like pheidole and other smaller species.

They should be kept in the test tube unti they start to fill it up. However, I moved a twenty Worker colony into an ants Australia size 1 formacarium, and they are thriving, despite the nest being triple their nesting space needed. They are not *hugely* affected by large nests.

Also, Iridomyrmex Bicknelli prefer are dryer nest than usual.

That’s about it. Oh, and if you got a good queen, you may easily have 800+ workers in six months, :shock: but that is at optimal temperature and humidity.

Cheers!
So i have had a hard time trying to get this colony going. I'm obviously doing something wrong.
The colony will grow to 3 - 4 workers then after a few weeks die. She will lay more eggs and the same thing will happen.
I figured I must be underfeeding them so i started putting in a crushed meal worm plus the cricket leg and honey. It didn't make a difference.

Should the test tube be in darkness? I keep her in complete darkness in a draw that varies between 18 and 20 degrees Celsius, is that to hot or to cold? Should she be exposed to sunlight at all.

At present i have 1 brand new worker that must have hatched less than 4 days ago. That's it.
😭😭😭

How long does it normally take to go from egg to worker? It seems to take 5 weeks + -

User avatar
antnest8
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Post: # 36443Post antnest8
Mon May 28, 2018 4:13 pm

that seems like a correct time. I would cover the test tube/nest because it might be the stress that keeps her from laying eggs with her workers
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony
!!And A CREMATOGASTER QUEEN!!

JustinCredible
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Post: # 36456Post JustinCredible
Mon May 28, 2018 6:46 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:13 pm
that seems like a correct time. I would cover the test tube/nest because it might be the stress that keeps her from laying eggs with her workers
It is covered. The only time she is uncovered is when i put food in there.
The other problem is; do i keep putting food in there?
She is fully claustral right, but because she has had a cycle of workers that have died would she have enough food in her to wait for new workers or????

Oh god I'm stressing.

Hitch3
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:36 am
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Post: # 36473Post Hitch3
Mon May 28, 2018 10:26 pm

Can you take a photo of their set up for us?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvjcyJWitRSztq51HziS0Dg

Keeping:
2x Iridomyrmex Bicknelli
2 x Nylanderia sp
Camponotus Consobrinus
Pheidole sp
Rhytidoponera metallica

Founding:
Pheidole sp
2x Cremogaster
12x Iridomyrmex Bicknelli
Polyarhis sp

User avatar
antnest8
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Post: # 36491Post antnest8
Tue May 29, 2018 4:40 pm

just for clarification i meant covered by letting no light get in
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony
!!And A CREMATOGASTER QUEEN!!

JustinCredible
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Post: # 36542Post JustinCredible
Tue May 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Hope this link works....

So there absolutely no light when this draw is cold.
I'm actually questioning the temperature in there. As the room is 18 - 20 degrees Celsius but i guess the draw could be cooler. Should I put a heat matt in there or maybe half under the container?

She used to have drift wood in there that kind of covered her egg stash which i removed because it got mould on it. Should I giver her another piece...?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161832868@N08/shares/Wf9098

User avatar
antnest8
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Camponotus or Iridomyrmex colony.

Post: # 36599Post antnest8
Thu May 31, 2018 5:42 am

i would give her another piece of driftwood or test tube because she needs a nest of some kind
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony
!!And A CREMATOGASTER QUEEN!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests