Camponotus Novaboracensis Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

AntsOntario

Camponotus Novaboracensis Journal

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:40 am

(If there are any spelling mistakes, please tell me. I'll fix them ASAP.)

Hey! I'm Daniel from the AntsOntario channel, and I thought I'd start a journal. From the title, you can see this will be about my Camponotus Novaboracensis queen. I might add in some of my other queens (tetramorium, lasius, formica), but this will mainly be about my camponotus. My queen is already on the pupa stage, so I guess I am kinda late. I'll add all the previous information below. I'll also be adding pictures once my micro
I caught this queen on May 25th, or at least I am pretty sure. (Give or take a few days.)
My queen didn't lay eggs for 2 weeks. She was viciously tearing at her cotton, and I had to change it twice. I moved her to a brand new one, and she settled in instantly. It took her about 4 weeks to go from egg to larvae. Larvae to pupa took 1 week. (July Thursday 13th when they appeared)

As of today (July 31st) She has 12 Pupa. Most of them are pretty dark, so I can expect workers soon!

So that's all! Hopefully this will be fun to read, and hopefully I can learn a thing or two haha. I'm still kinda new to this.
Enjoy! :D

AntsOntario

Re: Camponotus Novaboracensis Journal

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:28 pm

My Camponotus queen has 2 pale workers! The cocoons got really dark today, and then.. boom?? I'm so excited for this colony.
Also, 2 of my tetramorium colonies has workers now. One has 9, and another has 11. They had their workers on the same night. I guess this first week of august has the most action for most ant keepers. I also added their first outworld. I soaked a bit of cotton with this mixture of honey, white sugar & water. They seem to love it!
I'm thinking about moving them to a new outworld though. I used regular dark soil as their substrate, but as you can imagine, it's hard to see them. Naturally, my ants would be dealing with a grainy substrate, so I think it'll be fine.
One of my lasius queens has HUGE larvae for some reason. I only caught her 2 weeks ago.. but the more workers, the happier I'll be, haha! It's possibly the temperature I am keeping them at. I keep them at a consistent temperature of 26 - 30 Degrees. (79 - 86 Fahrenheit) It stays super humid in my garage. I have to keep them there, since my house is so loud 24/7. I tried a closet, cabinet, even my room! (I couldn't even sleep.)
In the end, they found themselves in the garage.

Ill make sure to keep you guys updated. :D

1sttimeantfarm

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Nice to see other Ontario antkeepers about. :D

AntsOntario

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:12 pm

1sttimeantfarm wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:59 pm
Nice to see other Ontario antkeepers about. :D
Haha yeah! Was starting to think I was the only one..

1sttimeantfarm

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:03 pm

You should include some pictures.

AntsOntario

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi guys! Glad to see people are tuning in. I have great news! My Camponotus Novaboracensis queen now has 5 strong workers. All of them have gotten darker & I have just introduced them into their first outworld. I fed them a little drop of my mixture. (Sugar, Honey, Water.)
My Tetramorium colony is doing well also. They have 14 workers and are eating well. I fed them a small cricket & they finished the entire thing overnight. I'll be purchasing size 1 & 3 from the AntsAustralia shop. (Ytong Nests.)
I don't know which colonies to keep. I have 4 different species, since I sold some already. I have lasius, formica, tetramorium & camponotus. What colony do you guys think I should keep?

Lasius - 7 Huge Larvae / 1 Dark Pupa
Camponotus - 5 Workers / 7 Pupa / 7 - 20 eggs
Tetramorium - 14 Workers / 7 - 11 Pupa / 5 - 10 eggs
Formica - 5 Larvae

So you can vote by replying. I can't keep all of these colonies so I wanna figure out which one I should keep.
(I've also included a picture of when my queen got her first workers. If you guys can tell me how to properly add pictures it would be great. I'm currently using google drive but I don't think this is working very well.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5NYDWoHp_lvM3VkS2w2SHZoZk0

Will230145

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:20 pm

#1 Camponotus, favorite species

#2 Lasius, second favorite species

Both easy to keep!
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pensilvanicus
Founding: Lasius Neoniger
Lasius Claviger
Formica subsericea

AntsOntario

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:18 am

Will230145 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:20 pm
#1 Camponotus, favorite species

#2 Lasius, second favorite species

Both easy to keep!
Turns out my lasius queen is actually a Formica Pallidefulva.
I like my camponotus colony also, so I think I'll keep them. She just got another worker this morning :D

Rhetorik

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:14 pm

I vote Camponotus and Formica : )

Imgur works well for hosting pics, once uploaded hit share and copy the link. Then use this button

And paste the link between the 2 brackets.

It's nice to know there's more Ontario people's here. Keep us posted

Cheers
Yaaas my queen
-Me

AntsOntario

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Alright. Hopefully you guys can see these :D (I used Imgur)
The Camponotus picture was taken on August 4th.
The Formica Pallidefulva picture was taken on August 5th.
The Formica Fusca was taken on August 5th.
Enjoy!