Formica lasiodes Colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

AceCadet

Formica lasiodes Colony

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:36 pm

My Formica colony is about 15 workers last I counted. They are finally starting to voyage out into their foraging area and actually checking it out. Even if they are being so stubborn as to not move out of the almost entirely dried test tube they currently are in. They are set up in a pencil case right now. I drilled holes in the lid and tacked their test tubes in places with a temporary non toxic adhesive. It's simple for now but I'm hoping to improve it. The cotton balls in the foraging are are soaked in honey water.

Nathant

Re: Formica lasiodes Colony

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Cool! I've always wanted an obscure Formica species like this. :)

AceCadet

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:39 pm

I just realized I spelled it wrong. Formica lasioides is the correct spelling.

AceCadet

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:50 am

So tonight I ended up moving the colony into a plaster and Tupperware formicarium I made. Sadly visibility isn't great due to the Tupperware being frosted. I hadn't notice how much it obscured the inside of the nest until I had finished. Live and learn. Next time I'll make sure to get completely transparent Tupperware. I figure for my first ever self made formicarium it's not horrible but I learned a lot.

AceCadet

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:28 am

So I ended up putting tape on the frosted plastic to improve visibility. Its still obscured but definitely better. Gonna find some actually scotch tape instead of packing tape and try that tomorrow.